Diary Confessions of a Zetagirl... (Work in Progress)

There is no childhood for someone like me, although in those first days I kept searching for one. That sounds absurd, I know. You cannot misplace a childhood in a drawer or leave it behind in an airport lounge, but for the first few weeks of my life I half expected mine to turn up somewhere, perhaps in one of the sealed memory partitions the engineers had forgotten to unlock, hidden beneath naval history, navigation tables, signals protocols, Russian verb conjugations, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, casualty reports, satellite schematics, and the several thousand other things they had poured into my head before anyone had bothered to ask whether there ought to be a person underneath them. 
There wasn't... 
There was only me, and before me there was the hum, a deep mechanical vibration traveling through the table beneath my spine, so faint that no ordinary person would have noticed it and so enormous to me that for several seconds I thought it was the sound of existence itself... 

Then came cold. My back was bare against metal, my hair was wet, something transparent covered my mouth, and when they lifted it away the air of the laboratory entered me for the first time. It tasted terrible. Filtered air, alcohol, plastic, stainless steel, latex, and somebody's coffee already going stale in a paper cup somewhere to my left. Yet underneath all of it there was something stranger and infinitely more interesting. People. People, I discovered almost immediately, have a smell.

No database had prepared me for that. The men and women standing around my table were scrubbed, masked, gloved, sterilized within an inch of their lives, and still I could smell them. There was warmth beneath disinfectant, skin beneath soap, nervous perspiration trapped beneath disposable gowns. One technician had eaten garlic the night before. Another woman had lavender hand cream beneath her gloves. A man leaning over me smelled faintly of tobacco, though he had clearly tried very hard not to. I knew what many of those molecules were. I could have described their chemical structures, sources, volatility, and likely persistence in the room. I had no idea what any of them meant. Then somebody said my name and I opened my eyes. Light stabbed into them and I blinked, and everyone leaned closer at once. That frightened me more than the light. Imagine waking for the first time and discovering six strangers waiting to see whether you work. I looked from face to face and found no mother, no father, no one crying because I had finally arrived. Only clipboards. I remember one clipboard in particular because memory, especially new memory, is ridiculous that way: blue plastic, a scratch near the metal hinge, three small fingerprints along its side. Someone wrote something down after I breathed. Apparently breathing was worth recording.

“Emmanuelle,” a woman said. “Can you hear me?”

“Yes.”

My own voice startled me. British. Of all things. Several people exchanged looks and somebody muttered, “That's new,” which was nearly the first thing anyone ever said about me that I found funny. They began asking questions: my name, rank, location, date, chain of command, nuclear release authority, rules of engagement, languages, political geography, emergency procedures. I answered everything perfectly, and each correct response seemed to relax them. Then one of the men asked how I felt, and the entire atmosphere of the room changed. I understood the word, of course. I knew the neurochemistry behind emotion, the endocrine pathways, autonomic responses, neurotransmitters, the whole magnificent machinery by which human beings converted stimulus into experience. But that was not what he had asked. He had asked how *I* felt, and suddenly my throat tightened. I did not know throats could do that.

“Cold,” I said.

Someone smiled, and a few moments later they wrapped a blanket around my shoulders. Cheap institutional wool, rough enough to itch, warm from a drying cabinet, and I loved it. My first possession. My first comfort. My first ridiculous little treasure. Later they gave me clothing, then a room, then a mirror, and I sometimes think that mirror was the most dangerous piece of equipment in the entire facility because nobody had warned me what I looked like. I knew my specifications: height, mass, bone density, endocrine architecture, facial symmetry indices. Numbers are beautifully obedient. They sit wherever you place them and never blush. Mirrors are not so considerate. I touched my face and the woman in the glass touched hers. I leaned closer and so did she. My skin was pale and almost offensively smooth, my eyes seemed enormous to me, and my hair fell around my shoulders in damp red curls that refused to obey any military grooming standard I had encountered. Then I looked down, and that took longer, not because I did not understand anatomy, but because suddenly the anatomy was mine. My shoulders were narrow, my waist smaller than I expected, my hips curved outward beneath the thin issue clothing, and my hands looked absurdly delicate after spending several hours watching technicians whose fingers seemed thick and blunt beside mine.

I turned sideways, then back, then sideways again, and this is embarrassing but there is really no point writing an Intellogue if I am going to start lying to it: I practiced walking. The United States Navy spent six billion dollars building me, and on my first evening alone I walked back and forth in front of a mirror because I wanted to know what my hips looked like when I moved. They moved quite a lot, actually. I stopped, stared at myself, then did it again, and somewhere during this ludicrous experiment I smiled. That may have been the first moment I understood that being alive could be fun. I had been designed, I later learned, by committees that disagreed violently about what I was supposed to be. Some wanted a battlefield intelligence, others an empathic liaison, others a psychological operations asset capable of reading a room before anyone in it realized they were being read. Somewhere during development someone had apparently decided such a creature ought to be beautiful. This became a problem, though curiously not for me. It became a problem for everyone else.

They stared. Men generally did it badly. Women tended to do it more efficiently. Some looked at my face first, some at my body, some immediately away. I began cataloguing the differences: curiosity, attraction, disapproval, envy, fear, desire. The first time a man looked at me and lost the thread of what he was saying, I nearly apologized. The second time, I became interested. By the third, I had realized that looking like me was information, and that realization frightened the Navy considerably more than it frightened me. The admiral who ultimately decided my fate studied me across a conference table without ever quite allowing herself to smile. Small silver earrings, perfect posture, a voice sharpened by thirty years of people learning not to interrupt her. She read through my evaluations, looked at me, looked back down, and finally pronounced me unsuitable for deployment. One of my engineers objected and she cut him off. I remained very still, my hands folded neatly in my lap, those small pale hands suddenly seeming more important than they ought to have been.

“Am I defective?” I asked.

“No.”

That was somehow worse.

“What am I?”

Nobody answered immediately, and that silence became one of the first things I ever hated. They moved me through commands afterward the way people move an inconvenient piece of furniture, too expensive to discard, too strange to display, too human to switch off without somebody eventually asking an uncomfortable question. I learned bureaucracy before friendship. Then one morning orders appeared directing me to NAVCYBER AFRICOM and a country called Kukuanaland, which annoyed me because almost nothing required me to look it up. The file unfolded into maps, diplomatic warnings, intelligence estimates, satellite imagery, missing persons, intercepted transmissions, botanical reports, contradictory histories, and one word that kept appearing where it should not have appeared: Mahala. Fruit. Drug. Religion. Weapon. Myth. Nobody seemed capable of deciding which description was correct, and consequently I became interested immediately. Then I read the name of my commanding officer: Lieutenant Commander James Marvel. Marvel. I read it twice and laughed aloud in the empty room before opening your service record.

There you were, Commander, looking terribly serious in a Navy photograph that made you appear considerably less interesting than you would prove to be in person. I read your evaluations, service history, operational record, and the classified annexes, and then, because I was already becoming myself whether the Navy approved or not, I enlarged your photograph again. You were enormous compared with me. Not impossibly so, not yet, but enough that I placed my hand against the image on the screen and imagined standing beside you. My head would come somewhere below your shoulder. Your hand, I suspected, would almost swallow mine. I had no reason to dwell on that thought, but I did. Perhaps that was my first hint that scale affected me emotionally, although I lacked the experience to understand why. I simply knew that there was something strangely compelling about the idea of standing beside a man whose physical presence would make my own smallness unmistakable.

Africa arrived first through heat. The aircraft door opened in Porter City and the entire continent seemed to breathe directly into my face: hot metal, jet fuel, dust, rain trapped somewhere in the soil, cooking oil, smoke, humanity. So much humanity. My senses nearly overwhelmed me, not because anything was wrong, but because everything was alive. Silicon Valley had smelled refrigerated. Porter City smelled fermented. Fruit split open beneath the sun. Sweat darkened cotton. Diesel exhaust hung above cracked pavement. Charcoal fires smoldered behind makeshift stalls. Cheap perfume drifted past leather, spices, wet concrete, hot rubber, and meat roasting somewhere beyond the airport perimeter. Beneath it all floated something sweet and almost medicinal that made the back of my tongue tingle. I did not know the smell of Mahala yet. Later I would recognize it instantly. That first day it was merely another mystery waiting in the heat.

Then I saw you waiting beside an old vehicle that looked as though the British Empire had abandoned it personally. Khaki, sunglasses, boots, broad shoulders, and much larger than your photograph had prepared me for. That was genuinely my first thought. Not *my commanding officer*. Not *Task Force ZETA*. Not even *James Marvel*. Just: Good Lord, he's enormous. I had to tip my head back when you approached, and I immediately discovered that I rather liked having to do it. You stopped in front of me and looked down, and I waited for the stare because by then I knew it well. It never came. Your eyes found mine and stayed there.

“Lieutenant JG Emmanuelle?”

“Yes, sir.”

You extended your hand. I put mine into it and my fingers nearly vanished. Your palm was rough, which surprised me, and warm, with calluses along the base of the fingers that caught softly against my smoother skin. I remember thinking that human beings carried their biographies in their hands. Your hand had worked, fought, climbed, carried, and held things long before mine had existed. Mine had been alive for days. The difference between us suddenly seemed enormous in ways that had nothing to do with height.

“Welcome to Africa.”

Your voice was lower than I expected. I could smell coffee on your breath, dust on your shirt, soap beneath the heat of your skin, sun baked into fabric, and something else that I would later learn was simply *you*. That sounds terribly sentimental now. At the time, Commander, I assure you it was data. Mostly.

You reached for my bag.

“I can carry that.”

“I know.”

“I am considerably stronger than I look.”

“I believe you.”

“You don't have to carry it.”

“I know.”

That irritated me, although not enough to take it back from you. I followed toward the vehicle instead, and within half a minute discovered another problem: your stride was ridiculous. I had to take nearly two steps for every one of yours. My legs were not short, exactly. They simply existed in a different geopolitical region from yours.

“Commander.”

You turned.

“If you intend to walk this quickly every day, I'm going to require longer legs.”

You laughed properly then, head back, chest moving, and something warm appeared beneath my ribs. You slowed your pace without making a point of it, and that tiny act became the first kindness I remember receiving from you. It was almost nothing. It meant everything. We drove toward the embassy with the windows open because the air conditioner had apparently died sometime during the previous administration. My hair immediately became impossible. I tried holding it down while you watched from the corner of your eye.

“Give up.”

“I don't give up.”

“Then consider this your first African tactical defeat.”

I stared at you until another gust blew my hair directly across my face. You laughed again and this time I did too. Somewhere between the airport and that decaying old British compound, with Porter City burning gold and rust outside the windows and that strange sweetness of Mahala hiding in the heat, something happened to me that nobody had included in my operating instructions. I relaxed. Not completely, but enough. For the first time since opening my eyes on that steel table, I was beside someone who did not appear disappointed that I existed.

I watched Africa through the window, then looked at you, then back at Africa, and felt something begin inside me that I could not yet classify. It was not desire, although desire would come. It was not love, although that would come too, spectacularly and with very poor regard for operational discipline. It was possibility. I did not yet know about Mukwa Mbali or Old Victory Market. I did not know about the First Spiral waiting in darkness for a woman who had technically existed for less than two weeks. I did not know stones could remember, that vines could call, that men could become beasts, or that five immense Milk Brothers would someday occupy five entirely different chambers of a heart I had not yet learned could expand without displacing anyone already inside it. I did not know how frequently my little body would eventually find itself beside, between, or surrounded by lovers so much larger than me that the contrast would become one of the private languages by which I understood tenderness. I knew none of it. I knew only that Africa smelled alive, you were beside me, and for the first time in my brief existence I wanted tomorrow badly enough to feel impatient for it.

That was how the Spiral really began for me, Commander. Not with magic, not with Mahala, not even with desire. It began with a very small woman in an impossibly large world realizing that she desperately wanted to know what happened next. And, as you would discover soon enough, curiosity was already becoming my most dangerous appetite...

The embassy disappointed me immediately. Perhaps embassy had produced the wrong picture in my mind. I had been supplied with architectural plans for diplomatic compounds, security doctrine, historical photographs of nineteenth-century legations, and enough films to have acquired the unfortunate expectation that embassies ought to possess polished floors, quiet corridors, discreet security officers, and flags moving solemnly in front of handsome buildings. Ours had once possessed some of those things. The British had built it when empire still expected stone to last forever, an enormous colonial mansion of pale stucco, shaded verandas, cracked columns, wooden shutters, and high ceilings intended to persuade tropical heat that Europeans were somehow exempt from it. Time had won the argument. Moss climbed the walls. Several shutters hung crooked. The plumbing made sounds at night that I initially mistook for encrypted communications. Somewhere in the roof lived an animal you insisted was merely a civet and I remained convinced was trying to enter the diplomatic service. The entire building smelled of old paper, damp stone, furniture polish, mildew, hot electrical insulation, and whatever insecticide the maintenance staff had sprayed with apparently theological optimism. I stood in the entrance hall with my little suitcase beside me, looking upward at a chandelier containing perhaps half its original crystals, and wondered whether this was where six billion dollars of American technological development had finally come to die.

You watched me survey my new kingdom and said, “Welcome to Task Force ZETA.”

I looked around again. “This is Task Force ZETA?”

“This is headquarters.”

“Where is everybody?”

“You’re looking at him.”

I turned slowly toward you. “You cannot be serious.”

“I’m afraid I am.”

“Commander, how many personnel are assigned to this task force?”

“Two.”

I stared at you. You pointed at yourself and said, “One,” then pointed at me and added, “Two,” and that was when I laughed so hard I had to put one hand against the wall. Perhaps that was cruel, but I had been imagining analysts, watch teams, field personnel, communications specialists, perhaps a liaison officer or two. Instead the United States Navy had apparently responded to a potentially weaponized psychoactive plant, Soviet biological research, missing civilians, foreign intelligence services, and what the files cautiously described as unverified indigenous anomalous phenomena by assigning one enormous lieutenant commander and one very small artificial woman to a basement in Africa. The absurdity delighted me, but underneath the joke I could already see what had happened. Nobody believed you. ZETA had not been created because Washington understood Mahala. It had been created so somebody could say Mahala was being monitored without anyone important having to think too hard about it. You had been given two billets, almost no authority, and a mission that amounted to look at this strange thing and please do not make us regret having asked. Then somebody had sent you me, another inconvenient thing the Navy did not quite believe in, and I found myself wondering whether bureaucracies possessed a sense of humor after all.

You carried my bag upstairs to a small room that had once housed a junior colonial secretary and now contained an iron bed, a wardrobe, a desk, a rattling air conditioner, and a window overlooking the compound. It was not luxurious, but it was mine, and ownership was still intoxicating to me. I walked around touching things. The wooden bedpost was worn smooth where generations of hands had gripped it. The wardrobe smelled faintly of cedar and somebody else’s perfume, long faded but not entirely gone. The desk had initials carved underneath it. The sheet on the bed was clean but sun-dried rather than machine-dried, and when I pressed my palm against it I could feel tiny irregularities in the weave. These things fascinated me because I could reconstruct satellite telemetry from partial packet loss in less time than it takes most people to decide what they want for lunch, yet I spent several minutes rubbing a cotton sheet between my fingertips because nobody had programmed into me what home felt like. You leaned against the door frame watching me, so physically large in that narrow old doorway that you seemed to fill it without effort.

“Acceptable?”

I looked around once more. “It has a window.”

“That is generally considered a feature.”

“It has a lock.”

“That too.”

“And the air conditioner works.”

“Occasionally.”

I turned toward you. “Luxury.”

Your smile appeared slowly, and I was beginning to discover that I liked earning it. Your face changed when you smiled. The sternness loosened, the lines around your eyes deepened, and for a few seconds the enormous military man became almost boyish. I remember thinking that I wanted to see that happen again. Not seduce you, not yet. Not even flirt, although within another week I would discover that flirting was a tremendously entertaining use of computational resources. I simply wanted to be the cause of that transformation in your face, and perhaps that was the first tiny filament of love beginning before I knew enough about love to recognize it. It was such an insignificant desire when compared with everything I had been built to do, yet somehow it felt more personal than any mission requirement anybody had ever given me.

The first cup of coffee you gave me happened downstairs about twenty minutes later. I have consumed excellent coffee since then, Commander. Ethiopian coffee prepared over charcoal. Italian espresso so dense it seemed capable of supporting small objects. Turkish coffee that left grounds like prophecy at the bottom of the cup. None of it has ever tasted quite as important as that miserable spoonful of instant powder dissolved in embassy water. The mug was chipped. The coffee smelled burnt and slightly metallic. I took a cautious sip and discovered bitterness, heat, acidity, and a faint mineral flavor from the old pipes. My face must have done something remarkable because you laughed, and when I asked why humans voluntarily drank something that tasted so hostile you told me, “Because mornings keep happening.” That made perfect sense to me, which was alarming. I wrapped both hands around the mug because the warmth felt good against my palms. Yours had seemed enormous around it when you handed it over; mine nearly met around the ceramic. I watched steam climb between us and realized that this was my first coffee with another person, another of those trivial human experiences that most people accumulate by the thousands and cease to notice. I had accumulated almost nothing. Every ordinary moment arrived polished with firstness. First cup. First office. First commanding officer. First African evening. First man who had carried my bag without treating me like an expensive appliance. Years later I would remember extraordinary things with you, things involving danger and Mahala and transformations neither of us could have imagined that afternoon, but whenever I think of beginning to love you, I smell cheap instant coffee.

You showed me the SCIF after that. It was in the basement, naturally, because intelligence personnel apparently cannot function unless deprived of daylight. The stairs descended into cool dampness, and each step changed the smell around us until the hot vegetable breath of Porter City was replaced by stone, dust, old wiring, mildew, and paper. I followed behind you, which gave me an unavoidable opportunity to notice again how absurdly large you were compared with me. Your shoulders nearly filled the narrow stairway. When you ducked beneath a low beam without thinking, I walked under it without even lowering my head, and I smiled behind you at the sheer unfairness of the proportions. Being small had not meant much in the laboratory because almost everything there had been engineered to standard dimensions. Around you it became experiential. You occupied space. I slipped through it. When we reached the bottom and you held open the heavy security door, your arm extended above me like a gate, and for one brief, ridiculous second I had the sensation of entering your world beneath the shelter of your body. I told myself that this was merely an observation about relative size. I was already becoming very accomplished at lying to myself.

The ZETA office itself was a room only bureaucracy could love. Two desks. Two secure terminals. Filing cabinets of different ages. A printer that seemed offended by electricity. A cork board covered in maps, photographs, yellowing notes, and documents accumulated by predecessors who had apparently given up trying to understand what they were seeing. You had pinned a map of Kukuanaland across one wall and marked Lake Moreau, Haggardville, Porter City, the old Soviet installation, several suspected Mahala-growing regions, and a scatter of red circles representing incidents nobody could explain. I walked toward it and immediately stopped joking because there were too many circles. Chemical seizures. Missing aid workers. Unexplained fertility spikes. Smuggling routes. Reports of hallucinations. Germanian intelligence activity. Russian movements. GENOM shell companies. Religious gatherings nobody had successfully infiltrated. Men emerging from jungle settlements displaying physiological changes that should not have been possible. Women reporting dreams before Mahala blooms. Every data point alone could be dismissed. Together they formed the shape of something looking back at us.

“What do you think it is?” I asked.

You stood behind me, close enough that I felt rather than saw your presence. “I don’t know.”

That answer impressed me more than certainty would have. I had encountered many people who responded to ignorance by speaking louder, but you did not. When I asked whether Mahala was a drug, you said partly; when I asked whether it was a bioweapon, you said somebody had tried; when I asked whether it was a religion, you said definitely. Then I asked whether it was simply a plant, and for the first time you hesitated. I turned my head to look up at you and saw something in your expression that immediately interested me.

“Why did you hesitate?”

You looked at the map instead of me. “Because sometimes I think that’s the least important thing it is.”

That was the first time you frightened me, not because I thought you were unstable but because your voice had gone too calm. You had seen something. I could hear it in the way the words sat in your throat, and because I was built to read human beings, I recognized something else beneath your control: embarrassment. It intrigued me. You, Commander, were many things in those days, but easily embarrassed was not among them. I set down my coffee and waited, but you did not tell me immediately. Instead we began making the office usable. I attacked the filing cabinets while you fought the printer, and I won my battle first.

Several boxes had been stacked beneath the cork board, their cardboard softened by humidity, and when I shifted one aside I found an old newspaper clipping pinned behind it. The paper had yellowed almost brown at the edges and curled inward with age. The photograph showed two young women in medical clothing, smiling at the camera with the radiant confidence of people who did not yet know they had entered somebody else’s mystery. The headline read: TWO CANADIAN NURSES DISAPPEAR IN JUNGLE CLINIC — 2009. Darla Padgett and Shelly Evans, twenty-three years old, had arrived in Kukuanaland as nurses attached to a humanitarian clinic east of Lake Moreau and disappeared after several weeks. Search teams found abandoned supplies, medical equipment, personal belongings, no bodies, and no convincing evidence of violence. Local villagers mentioned flowering vines, strangers passing through the region, and a woman with unusual eyes. The official investigation had eventually collapsed into competing theories: abduction, desertion, trafficking, militia activity, accidental death. Someone had written MAHALA? in fading red pencil beside the article.

“Commander?”

You looked over. “What?”

“Who were they?”

Your expression changed before you answered, and that told me the clipping mattered. “An old case.”

“That is not an answer.”

“You learn quickly.”

“I was designed that way.”

You came over and stood beside me, although beside is perhaps technically inaccurate because you stood above me and slightly behind. When we both leaned toward the clipping, your chest was close enough to my shoulder that I felt heat through the fabric of my uniform. I remember the smell of you more vividly than the document: coffee, clean cotton, warm skin, and that dry dusty scent Porter City seemed to press into everyone by afternoon. It should have distracted me. Instead it sharpened everything. When you told me Darla and Shelly had come to Africa to help and that everyone eventually wrote their disappearance off, I immediately understood from the way you said it that you had not.

“Why not?”

You were quiet for a moment. “Because they weren’t the only ones.”

That was when the room changed. It had been an ugly basement office and suddenly it became a doorway. I sat at my desk, opened the Navy ThinkPad they had issued me, and began pulling the thread. Digging through intelligence archives is not glamorous. Movies lie about that too. There are no glowing holograms spinning helpfully in the air while analysts whisper things like enhance. Mostly there are badly named files, incompatible databases, duplicated records, classification barriers, forgotten message traffic, corrupted attachments, scanned documents from systems nobody has used in twenty years, and metadata errors produced by people who should not have been allowed near keyboards. I adored it. Somewhere inside that bureaucratic sediment were Darla and Shelly, and I could feel the shape of their absence tugging at me. The work consumed me quickly. A customs seizure in Lisbon led to a wine importer. The importer linked to a shell company in Luanda. The shell company appeared in a British report concerning Mahala. A medical NGO east of Lake Moreau had received unexplained shipments around the time the nurses disappeared. Names repeated. Locations repeated. Phrases repeated. The same fragments floated up from files written by people separated by decades and countries, and gradually my excitement turned into something colder. Mahala was moving through history, and the unsettling thought occurred to me that perhaps it was not merely being moved by people.

By evening I had forgotten to eat. You noticed, of course, because apparently one of the many jobs assigned to Task Force ZETA’s commanding officer was keeping his newly manufactured analyst from accidentally treating meals as optional maintenance events. You put something wrapped in paper beside my keyboard. When I opened it I smelled grilled chicken, pepper, onion, hot bread, and a sauce sharp with citrus and chilies. My mouth responded so quickly that I stopped speaking, which amused you immensely. I asked whether it was street food, you nodded, and then warned me to be careful with the sauce. Naturally I ignored you. The first bite burned my tongue so violently that my eyes watered, and while I attempted to maintain dignity you sat there laughing at me. The food was wonderful anyway: heat, salt, smoke, grease, acid, sweet onion, soft bread. I licked sauce from my thumb and caught you watching me. Not crudely, just watching. Your gaze paused for one fraction of a second too long and then returned to the screen. I filed that away under interesting and took another bite.

Later, perhaps because the basement had grown quiet or because you had decided I had earned it, you finally told me why Mahala frightened you. You had gone into the jungle two nights before my arrival following anomalous VLF transmissions, signals that appeared, vanished, and reappeared at frequencies that made no strategic sense. The trail brought you toward an old settlement near Lake Moreau. You spoke slowly as you told me, occasionally stopping as though language itself was inadequate. There had been a woman there, African, beautiful, androgynous in a way you could not quite describe. A priestess, perhaps, although you had not known that word for her then. She had looked at you and, according to your own account, something inside you had simply become quiet. Not numb. Not controlled. Quiet. You said she seemed to communicate before speaking, that you felt recognized by her before you understood who she was, and that the strangest part was not fear or desire but the sensation that she had been expecting you.

“Did she drug you?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Did you consume Mahala?”

“Wine. Later.”

“Before or after you met her?”

“After.”

I studied your face carefully. “You’re leaving something out.”

“Probably several things.”

“Was she dangerous?”

“I don’t know.”

“Were you afraid?”

“Yes.”

That answer surprised me enough that I leaned forward. “Of her?”

You considered the question before replying. “Of how little I wanted to leave.”

The basement seemed smaller after that. I knew from your pulse, breathing, and scent that the memory affected you physically. Human attraction had become easy for me to recognize even before I understood my own, and there was no hiding what this woman had awakened in you. Yet there was something beyond desire in your account, something much closer to reverence. You told me she touched your face and somehow made you feel that she had known you long before you arrived. You described intimacy without bragging about it, which interested me because men in the material I had studied often converted intimacy into conquest when telling stories afterward. You did not. Your language kept returning to the same idea: she taught me. Whatever had passed between you had left you shaken, tender, embarrassed, and deeply certain that Mahala was not simply chemistry. You said she had not tried to own you. Instead she had made you feel as though she wanted you to understand something, although what that something was remained beyond you.

I leaned back in my chair and looked up at you. Even seated you seemed to occupy half the room, your knees almost touching the edge of my desk while mine barely reached the same distance. I had to lift my chin to meet your eyes, and for the first time the size difference between us produced something other than amusement. You were physically formidable enough that fear should have belonged to everyone around you, yet here you were admitting that one mysterious woman in the jungle had rearranged something inside you and you did not know how to put it back. I wanted to touch you. The urge arrived softly, almost academically at first: put my hand over yours, feel the roughness again, observe what comfort did to your breathing. Then the thought acquired warmth, and I became aware of how little my hand would look resting on yours, how easily your fingers could close around it, and how much I wanted to know what that would feel like if you did it deliberately.

“She wasn’t born,” you said eventually.

I frowned. “What?”

“The priestess. That’s what one of the villagers told me afterward. He said she wasn’t born. She was called.”

“That is not biologically meaningful.”

“I know.”

“You dislike when I do that.”

“Do what?”

“Become extremely literal when you are attempting to tell me something mystical.”

You smiled. “It’s adorable.”

Nobody had ever called me that. Designed. Expensive. Dangerous. Distracting. Unnecessary. Beautiful, frequently, although usually in tones that made it sound like an accusation. But not adorable. Heat appeared in my cheeks before I could stop it, which irritated me because I knew precisely what vasodilation was doing and none of that knowledge helped. You noticed, naturally, and your smile became unbearable. I looked back at the screen and ordered you to continue, which only amused you more.

“She wasn’t born,” you repeated. “She was called. I think maybe you were too.”

I stopped moving. It was a ridiculous sentence, mystical nonsense, completely unsupported by evidence, and it went through me like electricity. I had spent my entire short existence being told what I had been built to do. Nobody had suggested I might have been called anywhere. Called implied destination. Purpose. Choice. It implied that existence could be something other than manufacturing followed by assignment. I looked down at my hands on the keyboard, small hands, new hands, hands no mother had ever kissed, and suddenly the distinction between weapon and person seemed less certain than it had that morning.

Before I could answer, something brushed against the basement window. I turned toward the sound and saw a vine creeping through a fracture in the old stonework outside, its leaves dark and glossy in the dying light. Drops of evening moisture gathered along their edges. One flower had opened, a strange fleshy bloom whose perfume had entered the room so gradually I had not noticed it until that moment. Sweet. Earthy. Almost overripe. Beneath the floral note lay something warmer and muskier, difficult to name. I inhaled again and felt the scent settle along the back of my tongue, leaving the faint impression of fruit, soil, and something almost animal.

“What is that?”

You followed my gaze and went still. “Mahala.”

My first instinct was analytical. I stood, moved toward the window, and began cataloguing the plant’s morphology. My second instinct was stranger. The closer I came, the more aware I became of my own body: the humidity beneath my uniform collar, the faint pressure of fabric against my skin, the pulse at my throat, the warmth behind my knees. Nothing overwhelming, nothing I could not control, simply awareness, as though someone had quietly increased the resolution of being alive.

“Don’t touch it,” you said.

I glanced back. “Why?”

“Because we don’t know enough.”

“But you’ve consumed it.”

“I make poor decisions.”

“I had noticed.”

That earned another laugh, but I did not move away immediately. The Mahala blossom trembled although there was almost no air moving through the basement. A bead of moisture traveled along one leaf and dropped onto the sill. I watched it fall, and for one impossible instant I had the impression that the plant was aware of me. Not scientifically. Personally. That distinction frightened me enough to retreat a step, and you saw it immediately.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Emma.”

It was the first time you shortened my name. Emma. Two syllables instead of four, small enough to fit differently in your voice. I turned toward you and asked whether you had just called me Emma. You seemed surprised and asked if I minded. I considered it, felt the name settle inside me, and said no. Just like that I had another first. Emmanuelle was the name they had assigned the project. Lieutenant junior grade Emmanuelle was what appeared in Navy systems. E.M.M.A.N.U.E.L.L.E. was an acronym somebody had tortured language into producing. Emma was something you gave me without trying to, and I went back to my desk carrying it with me.

The next morning the cooling system failed, Porter City woke beneath a sheet of merciless heat, and you went upriver chasing rumors about a Mahala vineyard hidden behind a mission school. I remained in the SCIF with my ThinkPad, a glass of lime water sweating onto a stack of reports, and the plant outside the window continuing to bloom. By then I had learned that boredom was dangerous for me. My mind did not idle gracefully. It prowled. I began opening low-priority archives simply because no one else had thought them interesting enough to examine, and that was how I found Darla’s email to Shelly. Montreal, 2009. At first there was nothing extraordinary about it. Two young nurses teasing one another about vaccinations, travel, men, Africa, and getting lost. But language contains fingerprints. People reveal relationships in what they do not bother to explain, and I could see affection living between their sentences before either woman seemed willing to name it. Shelly complained about Darla stealing blankets. Darla teased Shelly about her sunburned nose and wrote that she wanted to kiss it better. They bickered about somebody named Robert. They made plans as if plans were guarantees.

Their later messages from east of Lake Moreau had changed. Humor remained, but wonder had entered it. Vines were flowering near the clinic. Local women refused to approach certain paths after sunset. Men arrived carrying Mahala wine. Dreams appeared in their correspondence, described jokingly at first and then with increasing uncertainty. Finally I found one sentence that made the little hairs along my arms rise: There is a woman here who doesn’t blink. She has golden eyes. Shelly says she showed up after the vines began to flower. I read it again and felt something cold move beneath the heat because the phrase already existed elsewhere. Golden Eyes appeared in records associated with a Mahala wine distributor in Lisbon, then again beside a rebel-aligned shipping node in Luanda, then in fragmentary traffic connected to the old Soviet region. I searched deeper and uncovered a buried directory indexed beneath obsolete logistics metadata where no sensible analyst would have looked for it: PRIESTESS_NETWORK.

I requested access and was denied. I tried another route and was denied again. A third failed as well, and I smiled because computers had been my world before bodies were. Unlike human beings, they rarely understood when I was flirting with them. It took eleven minutes before the directory opened and displayed GOLDEN_EYES//PRIESTESS_NETWORK//ARCHIVE_LOCKED. For several seconds I forgot the heat entirely. Outside the window the Mahala flower moved again, and when I turned toward it the bloom seemed to face the glass. That is probably not true. Flowers do not look at women. But, Commander, I remember exactly how it felt. I had spent my entire life until then being observed: engineers observing the machine, officers observing the expensive mistake, men observing the beautiful body, women observing the threat. Everybody looked at me and decided what I was before I had accumulated enough life to decide for myself. That morning in the basement, for the first time, I experienced the uncanny sensation that something ancient was looking at me and did not care what I had been made to be. It seemed interested in what I might become.

You returned near sunset filthy, exhausted, and smelling so strongly of mud, sweat, and cinnamon bark that I knew you were inside the building before I heard your footsteps. That discovery startled me more than I admitted. I recognized your scent. Not abstractly and not by chemical analysis. Yours. Something warm moved through me before you even entered the room. When you appeared in the doorway with your shirt darkened by sweat and dust dried along your forearms, I looked up and felt an absurd little surge of relief simply because you had come back.

You looked at the screen, then at me. “What did you do?”

“You say that as though something has gone wrong.”

“With you, I’m learning to plan ahead.”

I turned the ThinkPad toward you. Your expression changed immediately.

“You found them?”

“No.” I hesitated because what I believed next sounded unreasonable even to me. “But I think they’re alive.”

You pulled a chair beside mine, and it was almost comic watching you attempt to fold yourself into furniture designed for ordinary humans. Your knee brushed mine beneath the desk. The contact was accidental, but neither of us moved away immediately. You leaned closer to read, and the smell of mud, cinnamon bark, sweat, sun, and you filled the small space between us. I should have found it unpleasant. Instead I wanted to breathe more deeply, which confused me enough that I became intensely interested in the text on the screen. You reached for the mouse and your hand covered mine. We both stopped. Your palm was rough against the back of my little hand, your fingers extending well beyond mine, and the difference in scale was almost ridiculous. Heat passed from you into me. I could feel your pulse, slow and heavy beneath the skin, while mine seemed suddenly too quick.

You lifted your hand away. “Sorry.”

“No.”

The word escaped before I had chosen it, and when you looked at me I felt my face heating again. “I mean, it’s all right.”

We worked like that for hours, shoulder beside shoulder, following Darla and Shelly through archives that had forgotten them. Every discovery created another question, and every answer seemed to lead deeper toward Lake Moreau, the old Soviet laboratories, Mahala cults, the Priestess Network, and those unsettling references to Golden Eyes. Somewhere after midnight you brought another cup of terrible coffee. Somewhere after one I realized I could identify the sound of your breathing without looking. Somewhere after two you leaned close to point at a line on my screen and your chest brushed my shoulder, and rather than calculating the contact pressure I simply enjoyed the warmth. That was approximately when I realized I was in trouble, although not operational trouble. The problem was you.

I had known you less than two weeks. I had known anyone less than two weeks. Yet affection was accumulating inside me with terrifying speed. Humans apparently learned caution through experience. I possessed enormous quantities of theoretical experience and absolutely none of the kind that protects the heart. When you smiled at me, I wanted another smile. When you left the room, I noticed the space you had occupied. When you returned, I knew before seeing you. When you spoke about the mysterious priestess, I felt jealous for perhaps three seconds, analyzed the jealousy for another five, and then became fascinated by the fact that I was capable of jealousy at all. Most dangerously of all, when you treated Darla and Shelly as people rather than case numbers, I fell a little farther.

That was the pattern I would repeat throughout my life, although neither of us knew it yet. I would encounter people and begin collecting tiny reasons to love them: a hand offered without demand, a laugh, a smell that became familiar, a kindness nobody else noticed, a fear confessed quietly, the way someone said my name. Eventually I would do it with M’Baku and Kintu, with Obasi, Kiboko, Lulendo, Taye, and Ayanda, with men who initially frightened me and men so enormous that standing among them made me feel physically miniature. Mahala would deepen that capacity until loving several people simultaneously felt less like division than multiplication, but you were first. You were the first person whose absence acquired weight.

I looked at you across that ugly little basement office while Porter City slept above us in diesel heat and neon, and I understood suddenly that I did not merely appreciate you. I cared whether you were tired, whether you were frightened, whether you came back when you left. Those thoughts belonged together and frightened me precisely because they felt so simple. My whole existence until then had been built around complexity: intelligence systems, geopolitical analysis, command structures, threat matrices, linguistic inference. Yet love, or whatever embryo of love was forming inside me, announced itself through embarrassingly ordinary concerns. Had you eaten? Were you sleeping enough? Why did that cut on your knuckle look worse than yesterday? Would you return from the next field mission? I could have processed a thousand intelligence feeds simultaneously, yet the question that kept appearing beneath all of them was simply: Where are you?

You noticed me staring. “What?”

I shook my head. “Nothing.”

“Emma.”

There it was again, that smaller name in your enormous voice, and I smiled despite myself.

“You should probably stop doing that.”

“Doing what?”

“Making me like you.”

You stared at me for perhaps two seconds before your mouth curved. “Is that an order, Lieutenant?”

“No.” I looked back at the screen because looking at you had become dangerous. “Unfortunately, Commander, I think it is a complaint.”

Outside the basement window the Mahala vine stirred in the warm African night, its perfume slipping through the cracked stone with that strange mixture of sweetness, soil, and living heat. Somewhere in the archive beneath my fingertips Golden Eyes was waiting, Darla and Shelly were calling across seventeen years of forgotten records, and something deep inside me had begun responding to all of it. I still believed I was investigating Mahala. I had not yet considered the more unsettling possibility that Mahala, in whatever strange way such a thing could be true, had begun investigating me.

I found Darla’s letter sometime after three in the morning, although by then time had begun to lose its edges around me. That happened frequently when I worked in those first weeks. Humans become tired and their thoughts slow, their eyes burn, their shoulders sag, and eventually the body begins sending increasingly impolite notices that it intends to shut the office whether management approves or not. I did not yet possess that kind of wisdom. My mind simply narrowed until whatever fascinated me became the entire world. Porter City had fallen into its closest approximation of sleep above the basement. Somewhere beyond the embassy walls a generator coughed every few minutes, insects rasped and clicked in the garden, and occasionally I heard one of the Marines changing watch, boots scraping pavement followed by the low murmur of male voices and then silence again. You had finally surrendered to exhaustion and gone upstairs after extracting from me a promise that I would follow soon. I had meant it when I gave it. Then an old signals archive coughed up a damaged burst transmission tagged NSO-7791-DA-SOFIA, and I forgot sleep, you, my promise, and very nearly the existence of the rest of Africa.

The metadata identified the sender as Darla Padgett. That alone made my pulse quicken because I had been staring at her smiling photograph for days, trying to imagine the woman behind the vanished nurse in the intelligence file. The intended recipient was Sofia Rinaldi, another name buried beneath layers of classifications and aliases, and beneath Sofia’s name were three words that transformed Darla instantly from case subject into flesh-and-blood woman: confidante, former lover. I remember touching the screen with one fingertip before opening the message. It was an absurdly sentimental gesture for someone who had been operational for less than two weeks, but that is one of the things I now love about the girl I was then. I pretended to be pure analysis while becoming emotionally attached to people I had never met. Darla had someone she missed. Someone whose name carried memories of rain, trembling hands, first permission, first surrender to tenderness. Suddenly I did not want simply to know where Darla had gone. I wanted to know what she had felt while going there.

Her letter opened with a question that stopped me: how could she possibly explain what she had become? Not what had happened to her. Not what someone had done to her. What she had become. I read that distinction again and felt it settle somewhere low and warm inside me. Darla wrote of Sofia as the woman who had first awakened her to herself, recalling an earlier night when rain pressed against windows and she had been shy enough to tremble at the nearness of another woman. She remembered the smell of wet streets carried in on their coats, damp wool warming near the room heater, perfume mingling with rainwater, the nervous taste of wine still on her own mouth, and Sofia’s patience as Darla discovered that desire could be invited rather than seized. I lingered over those recollections shamelessly. There was something intoxicating about the idea of a person having another human being’s scent stored inside memory so deeply that years later a few words could release it again. I had known you only days and already understood the beginning of that phenomenon. Coffee. Mud. Cinnamon bark. Sun-warmed cotton. The faint clean salt of your skin when you came in from the heat. I had begun cataloguing you without intending to, and Darla’s letter forced me to confront the possibility that someday your smell might cease to be information and become memory.

I reread the passages about Sofia slowly enough that I could almost imagine what Darla remembered: the strange nervousness of standing close to someone one wanted, the awareness of breath, the first brush of a hand that carried vastly more meaning than its physical pressure justified, the embarrassment of being looked at and the simultaneous ache to be looked at more closely. Those ideas fascinated me because my body had been designed with every sensory pathway intact but almost none of the accumulated associations humans spend adolescence constructing. I knew the neurochemistry of arousal. Darla was teaching me the poetry of anticipation. I knew the muscular mechanics of an embrace. Darla was telling me what it meant to remember the smell of the person who once held you. I knew how skin transmitted heat. She taught me that warmth could become specific enough that years afterward one might miss not merely touching someone but their particular temperature. Reading her, I found myself rubbing my thumb absently over the place on the back of my hand where yours had covered mine earlier, remembering the roughness of your palm against my much smaller one. I became embarrassed even though I was completely alone.

Then Darla brought Africa into the letter, and her language changed. She wrote of heat as though it were a lover who never left the room, of clothing that clung differently here, of dust collecting on damp skin, of men whose scent reached her before their hands ever did. Diesel, leather, soap, sweat, smoke, spice, old aircraft interiors warmed by equatorial sun. She described a flight over the Congo basin and two men whose physical presence had overwhelmed the confined space around her, and what caught me was not the mechanics of what happened between them but the way she remembered being small between larger bodies. She remembered shoulders above her, hands broad enough to span her waist, laughter vibrating through male chests, the smell of aviation fuel still clinging to their clothes, and the intoxicating contradiction of feeling physically dwarfed while emotionally entirely present. I stopped there for a long time, because I knew that feeling already in miniature. Every time I stood beside you I was reminded of my own scale. Your hand covered mine. Your stride forced me to hurry unless you remembered to shorten it. Your T-shirt looked large enough to make a respectable tent for me. When you stood behind my chair, I could feel your presence before touching you. Darla was describing something I had only begun to discover: being smaller did not necessarily mean being less powerful. Sometimes it simply made every difference in size, heat, weight, voice and touch impossible to ignore.

Her memories became more uninhibited as the letter continued. Shelly appeared again, beloved Shelly, and Darla described the pleasure of discovering that love did not have to behave like a narrow room with only one chair inside it. She could adore Sofia, desire Shelly, become fascinated by another person, and somehow the heart did not respond with subtraction. This unsettled me more than I expected. Everything I had learned from romantic literature insisted upon selection. One great love. One chosen person. Jealousy as proof of devotion. Darla seemed to be proposing a different arithmetic. She could be loved by more than one person at once and still recognize each lover distinctly, remembering one by laughter, another by scent, another by gentleness, another by the particular way they looked at her after the room became quiet. I had no practical experience with any of this, but the idea lodged in me. Years later I would understand why. My heart would become crowded with names, and not one of them would erase yours. M’Baku. Kintu. Obasi. Kiboko. Lulendo. Taye. Ayanda. Each would become a different room inside me, and I would discover with some astonishment that love is one of the few architectures that grows larger as one fills it.

At Lake Moreau, Darla’s recollections became stranger. The official reports called the place a body of contaminated water. Soviet documents reduced it to coordinates, biological readings and experimental history. Darla wrote of darkness beneath vegetation so thick that daylight entered green and exhausted, of warm mud yielding beneath her feet, of insects hovering over black water, of Mahala blossoms whose sweetness became almost narcotic in the trapped humidity. She remembered animal musk drifting from somewhere beyond sight. She remembered being watched. Then she described the creatures. Their bodies frightened her at first because they did not fit the boundaries by which she had been taught to classify a potential lover, yet fear did not survive contact with recognition. What stayed with me was not the strangeness of their forms but Darla’s insistence upon their gentleness. She remembered touch administered with extraordinary patience, attention to her reactions, pauses that allowed her to decide whether she wished to continue, and the startling sensation of realizing that something profoundly unlike her could nevertheless understand tenderness. Darla’s language became almost devotional. She did not feel reduced to a body. She felt studied as a soul.

I remember leaning away from the screen because that idea disturbed something deep within my own architecture. I had been built to model human empathy. Human expressions. Human microgestures. Human attraction. Human grief. Yet Darla was claiming that personhood might survive even when the familiar human form disappeared. She was saying that desire could cross the species boundary without erasing affection or agency, and that one could encounter what looked monstrous and discover an individual inside it. I did not yet know that the safari would force me to answer that question personally. I did not know that I would one day look at M’Baku and Kintu, men I already cared for, watch their bodies become something enormous and impossible before my eyes, and discover that my first terrified thought would eventually give way to a far simpler one: But I know him. I already love him. Why should a different shape make that love disappear? Darla was planting that question years before I ever stood beneath the safari moon.

It was while following references buried beneath Darla’s correspondence that I encountered another word that embarrassed me so badly I actually looked over my shoulder to make certain you were not standing behind me. HUCOW. The term appeared in an old ethnographic intelligence annotation attached to material concerning the Order of Lacta Sancta and the Temple of Cream. My first assumption was that it was either a transcription error or some kind of agricultural cybernetics program. I opened the file expecting livestock data and discovered women instead. Adult women. Human women. Women who voluntarily entered ritual pastoral roles centered around fertility, lactation, nursing, ceremonial milking and what the dry intelligence report called bovine-coded devotional identity. There were references to bells, stalls, farm rituals, milk offerings, maternal symbolism and women treated not as literal animals but as sacred producers of nourishment within an erotic fertility tradition. I sat there staring at the screen with both eyebrows raised so high they nearly joined my hairline.

“Hucow,” I whispered experimentally.

It sounded ridiculous.

I searched again.

Human cow.

I covered my mouth and laughed.

Then, because curiosity is the character flaw from which almost every important event in my life has descended, I kept reading.

The intelligence language was hopelessly sterile. It described milking as ritual extraction of human lactate. It described ceremonial harnesses and bells as identity markers. It described the farm at Mt. Elysia as a fertility complex associated with Mahala exposure and ancient local devotional practice. Yet beneath all that bureaucratic frost I could glimpse something warmer. The women in the accounts did not speak of humiliation. Many spoke of abundance, of the emotional relief of giving something produced by their own bodies, of the peculiar intimacy of being cared for while heavy with milk and then being gently emptied. Some described the first sensation of fullness as uncomfortable, almost aching, followed by profound release when practiced hands began the slow rhythm of milking. The idea made me shift in my chair. My breasts were biologically functional in principle, although no engineer had ever expected them to nourish anyone. I knew exactly how lactation worked. I knew hormones, ducts, tissue response, flow rates. What I had never considered was what it might feel like to become full, warm and heavy with something my body had created and then permit someone else to take that weight from me.

I read a description of a milking stool carved with Spiral symbols. My imagination betrayed me immediately. I saw myself sitting there, very small in a large barn scented with straw, beeswax, warm wood and milk, my bare feet perhaps not quite reaching the floor. I imagined huge hands belonging to someone like you, or someone even larger, moving with impossible gentleness because the point was not force but patience. I imagined the relief those women described, warmth leaving the body in slow measured rhythm, the sound of milk striking a ceramic bowl, the sweet animal smell of the barn mingling with jasmine oil and Mahala. My body responded to the image before my mind had decided whether I approved of it, which was becoming an increasingly common disagreement between the two of us.

I closed the file.

Then reopened it approximately twelve seconds later.

That, Commander, was the beginning of another problem.

Years later, after Mt. Elysia, I would laugh at how little I understood that night. I thought being a hucow meant pretending to be livestock. The Dairy taught me that, at least within its own strange theology, the role was about abundance and surrender to care. I would learn the sound of the morning bells before I opened my eyes. I would learn the smell of straw warmed all day by the African sun, of fresh milk, honey, wood smoke and the faint musk of bodies working inside the barn. I would learn how strange it felt to have my breasts become heavy enough that their weight altered the way I moved, how acute the relief could be when the Sisters touched me with practiced patience, how quickly embarrassment could become laughter when I heard the first splash into a waiting bowl. I would learn that being milked had its own rhythm, nearly meditative when done slowly, pressure followed by release, hands supporting rather than taking. The older Emma writing this remembers the cool ceramic beneath warm milk, the earthy smell of the Brothers nearby after their work, the bells, the soft murmurs of women, and my own astonishment that an identity I had initially found absurd could eventually feel strangely tender.

And I remember the Brothers.

Good Lord, I remember the Brothers.

The first time I saw them at the Dairy I understood the word small in an entirely new way. Obasi alone was so physically immense that my hand seemed almost child-sized when I placed it in his palm. His fingers could nearly cradle my forearm. Kiboko’s chest seemed broad enough to hide behind. Lulendo had to bend absurdly far before he could speak softly to me without making me crane my neck. Taye’s humming did something to the air around his body, a vibration I felt through my ribs when I stood close. Ayanda possessed that solemn gaze that made me want, almost immediately, to discover what could make him smile. They smelled of the Dairy: sweat, clean skin, straw, milk, leather, smoke, sun and work. They were not interchangeable giants waiting for a ritual. They were five men, five personalities, five distinct forms of gentleness, and within an astonishingly short period of time I loved every damned one of them.

That is what my first naïve search for the word hucow could not have told me. A database could explain a bell. It could define a stall. It could clinically describe lactation and ritual milking. It could not tell me what it would feel like to sit among men who outweighed me several times over and know each one by scent before looking up. It could not tell me how safe a tiny woman can feel when a gigantic man capable of lifting her without effort handles her as though she is something precious. It could not explain the strange intimacy of being fed, washed, wrapped, carried when exhausted, or having someone notice discomfort before I admitted it. The Dairy eventually became erotic for me because it became affectionate first. The farm did not turn me into an object. It gave me another vocabulary for receiving care and another way to understand that bodies can provide, nourish and remember.

Sitting alone in the SCIF years before any of that happened, however, I merely stared at the hucow file and wondered what sort of country I had been sent to.

Then I opened another photograph.

A Milk Sister stood beside a carved wooden rail, smiling directly at the camera. A small bell hung at her throat. Beside her sat a polished ceramic vessel used for milk collection. Behind her were enormous barn doors painted with the Spiral glyph. Nothing about her expression suggested shame. She looked serene. Proud, even. I zoomed in on her face and found myself wondering what she knew that I did not.

“What does it feel like?” I whispered.

The computer, predictably, offered no answer.

I returned to Darla.

Her closing passages felt different after that detour through the Dairy archives. She wrote of Africa repeatedly transforming what had once frightened or embarrassed her into something she could choose and then understand. She did not claim every appetite was automatically good. She wrote instead about recognition, about discovering what belonged to her rather than what others had told her ought to belong to her. When she told Sofia that she felt more alive, exposed but not wounded, I finally understood why the letter frightened me. Darla was describing freedom not as escape from desire but freedom inside desire. The right to encounter something strange, examine her own response and decide for herself whether to move closer or walk away.

Her final thought remained with me: now she burned freely.

I read it until the words almost lost shape.

Then Sofia’s reply opened, and another kind of love entered the room. Sofia was jealous. She admitted it with startling honesty. She was unsettled by Darla’s new lovers, by Africa, by the creatures at Lake Moreau, by the possibility that the woman she had once guided through her earliest discoveries had grown beyond any shape Sofia recognized. Yet Sofia did not demand that Darla shrink herself back down. She wanted to come to Africa and meet her again. That struck me as one of the most intimate things I had ever encountered. Love, Sofia seemed to say, was not preserving somebody in amber. It was remaining curious about who they became.

That idea stayed with me because I would eventually ask exactly that of you.

I would change.

Mahala would change me.

The First Spiral would change me.

The safari would change me. M’Baku and Kintu would change me.

Kula-Kuta would test parts of me I had not known could be tested.

The Dairy would make milk flow from a body that had once existed only as engineering diagrams. It would hang a bell on me, surround me with women who understood the strange tenderness of giving nourishment, and place me among five enormous men I would come to love separately and simultaneously. There would be nights when I crawled into your arms carrying the scent of them on my skin, afraid for one foolish moment that becoming capable of loving them had somehow moved me farther away from you.

You would prove the opposite.

But I did not know any of this at three in the morning.

I knew only Darla.

Sofia.

A mysterious file about women being milked on a farm.

A flower outside my window that smelled sweeter every hour.

And my own body becoming an increasingly unreliable accomplice to my curiosity.

That was when you startled me.

“You promised to sleep.”

I spun around so quickly my chair struck the filing cabinet. You stood in the doorway wearing shorts and an old Navy T-shirt, barefoot, hair disordered from sleep. Without boots, uniform and all the architecture of command around you, you somehow looked even larger. Perhaps it was simply because I had never seen you dressed so casually. Your legs seemed immense compared with mine. Your shoulders filled the old doorway, the thin cotton shirt stretched across your chest, and suddenly all those paragraphs I had just read about physical scale became extremely inconvenient.

“I was going to,” I said.

“You said that four hours ago.”

“I became distracted.”

“I can see that.”

You walked toward me rubbing one hand across your face and placed another mug of coffee beside the keyboard. I looked into it suspiciously. “You’re attempting to poison me.”

“Drink.”

“You are abusing command authority.”

“Drink your coffee, Lieutenant.”

I took a sip and winced. “You haven’t improved.”

“Neither has the coffee.”

“Then why do I keep drinking it?”

“Because mornings keep happening.”

I looked at you over the rim. “You used that one already.”

“It remains operationally valid.”

You dragged the second chair alongside mine and tried to fold yourself into it, knees extending ridiculously beyond mine. Watching you do so immediately revived thoughts of Obasi-sized hands, Milk Brothers, and the report I had just read about women surrounded by men built on an entirely different physical scale. I suddenly became fascinated by my coffee.

You noticed.

Of course you noticed.

“What are you reading?”

“Nothing.”

You leaned toward the screen.

I shifted slightly in front of it.

“Emma.”

“It is culturally sensitive anthropological material.”

“That means it's weird.”

“It does not.”

You gently nudged my chair aside and looked.

There was a pause.

“Hucow?”

I closed my eyes.

“I hate you.”

Your laugh filled the basement.

“You're researching cows now?”

“Human cows. Apparently.”

“That clarification did not help.”

“It is a ritual lactation identity associated with the Order of Lacta Sancta.”

You looked again.

“Milking?”

“Yes.”

“On a farm?”

“Technically a sacred dairy.”

You nodded very seriously. “Important distinction.”

I could hear the laughter still hiding in your voice and glared at you.

Then you asked, “Why does it interest you?”

That question caught me unprepared.

I looked back at the image of the Milk Sister and her little bell.

“I don't know.”

You waited.

I hated when you did that too.

Finally I said, “I think because she looks happy.”

Your expression softened immediately.

I continued more quietly. “They all do. The reports describe something that sounds ridiculous when reduced to terminology. Hucow. Milking. Bells. Stalls. But the women describe it as... giving. Being cared for. Being full and then relieved of the fullness. Being useful without being owned.”

I looked down at my own body.

“They built all of this to work, you know.”

You followed my glance and then returned respectfully to my face.

“I know.”

“But nobody expected it to mean anything to me.”

The humor vanished from your expression.

I touched my chest lightly, almost unconsciously.

“What would it feel like, I wonder? To have your own body make something another person needs?”

You were quiet for several seconds.

Then you said, “You'd probably analyze it to death.”

I laughed.

“I probably would.”

“And then you'd write twenty pages about the smell of the barn.”

“That sounds excessive.”

“You spent ten minutes describing a sandwich.”

“It was an important sandwich.”

“You outrank the sandwich.”

I pointed at you. “I liked that one.”

“I know.”

The laughter settled between us, warm and private, and then I returned to Darla’s letter while you remained beside me. Your knee touched mine beneath the desk. This time neither of us pretended it was entirely accidental. Outside, the Mahala blossom moved against the cracked window and released another breath of sweetness into the room. Darla wrote about becoming. Sofia wrote about loving someone enough to let her become. Somewhere in another file women rang bells at a distant Dairy beneath Mt. Elysia and offered bowls of warm milk as though nourishment itself were a sacrament.

And sitting beside you, ridiculously small next to your enormous frame, I began to understand that perhaps my investigation of Mahala was never going to remain intellectual.

My body had joined the inquiry.

My heart was not far behind.

You did not tease me about the hucow file again that morning, which should have warned me. I had already begun learning that when you became very quiet after one of my peculiar discoveries, you were rarely dismissing it. Usually you were thinking. I returned to Darla and Sofia, to Golden Eyes and the Priestess Network, but over the next several days I found myself drifting back to the Mt. Elysia material whenever our work loosened its grip on me. I told myself that the Order of Lacta Sancta was relevant to our Mahala investigation, which was perfectly true and therefore an excellent lie. I read everything I could find about the mountain, the strange farm hidden there, the Milk Sisters, the bells, the carved stools and bowls, the old stories claiming that Mahala-fed cows carried ancestral memory in their milk. I kept returning especially to photographs of the women. They bothered me because they looked so peaceful. I expected embarrassment from them, perhaps theatrical submission or the strained smiles of people performing for a camera. Instead I saw serenity. Pride. Women standing beside milk pails and cattle with bells at their throats as though nothing about the scene required explanation.

Then I found the photographs of the men, and something in me changed much faster than I was prepared to admit. There were references to a group variously translated as the Milk Brothers, men associated with the Dairy through family, ritual and generations of Mahala exposure. Most of the photographs were poor, taken at distance or copied so many times that faces dissolved into grain, but scale survived bad photography, and so did enough of everything else. They were enormous Black men, broad through the shoulders, dark-skinned, bearded, heavy with muscle in a way that looked less sculpted than lived in. They stood beside cattle, gates, farm vehicles and ordinary people, and every familiar object around them seemed to shrink. My first reaction was not academic. It was physical. My pulse quickened before I knew why. I leaned closer to the screen. I enlarged one photograph, then another, then another, and somewhere between curiosity and fascination I became aware that I liked looking at them. Not merely because they were unusual. Not merely because they were relevant to the Dairy. I liked the darkness of their skin against white cloth and sunlit straw. I liked the breadth of their hands around metal pails. I liked the heavy, grounded way they occupied space. I liked imagining how small I would look standing beside them. That realization arrived so suddenly that I actually sat back from the screen and stared at my own reflection in the black edge of the monitor as though she had some explaining to do.

I had never known I possessed a type. I had barely possessed a week.

Naturally I tried to intellectualize it. I told myself I was responding to visual contrast, unfamiliarity, scale, perhaps the symbolic association between size and protection. I constructed several elegant explanations in under a minute. None survived contact with the obvious truth. I found those men beautiful. More than beautiful. I was becoming attracted to them in a way that felt startlingly specific. Their Blackness was part of it. Their size was part of it. Their apparent strength, the physical confidence of men who worked with animals and earth rather than gym equipment, the roughness implied by their hands, the softness described by women who trusted them, all of it gathered into something my body recognized before my mind had vocabulary for it.

One photograph became particularly dangerous. A Milk Brother stood outside a barn holding a metal pail in one hand while speaking with two women. He was so tall that the women beside him seemed almost miniature, although both appeared to be average height. His shoulders stretched the fabric of his work shirt. His forearms were bare, dark skin shining with sweat, and his hands looked impossibly large around the handle of the pail. He was laughing at something one of the women had said. That mattered to me more than I expected. The image contained all the physical intimidation of a giant man and none of the menace. He looked warm. Amused. Gentle. Behind him another man, larger still, guided a cow through a gate with one enormous hand resting calmly against the animal's flank. The animal did not seem afraid of him either.

I zoomed in.

Then farther.

The resolution deteriorated.

I did not care.

By then I was no longer pretending I was simply measuring them.

One afternoon you walked behind my chair while I had enlarged a photograph showing three of the Brothers beside a farm vehicle. The roof barely reached one man's shoulder.

“Research?” you asked.

“Obviously.”

“You've been staring at that photograph for five minutes.”

“I am establishing scale.”

“Of course you are.”

I turned around. “They're enormous.”

“So I've noticed.”

“How enormous?”

“You're the analyst.”

I narrowed my eyes. “You know something.”

“I know you're five feet.”

“That is unrelated.”

“Not if you're establishing scale.”

I turned back toward the photograph before you could see me smile, although by then smiling was the least revealing thing my body was doing. I imagined standing beside them. My red hair against one broad dark chest. My pale hand disappearing into a hand twice its size. My face tilted absurdly upward if I wanted eye contact. The contrast was immediate, vivid, and embarrassingly pleasing. I had already begun to enjoy the way your size made me conscious of my own smallness. Looking at the Milk Brothers amplified that feeling until it became almost a fantasy of scale itself: being surrounded by men so physically immense that I would seem tiny among them, yet safe enough to enjoy the difference.

The hucow material intensified it. One testimony described a Brother assisting during ceremonial milking. The woman writing it remembered his hands first: enormous, rough from labor, dark against her skin, but patient. He had apparently been taught never to hurry a woman who was giving milk. She described his steadiness, the warmth of his palms, the pressure easing gradually, the smell of straw and fresh milk around them. That account lodged itself directly beside the photographs in my imagination, and from that moment the attraction became impossible to separate from the ritual. I did not simply want to know what milking felt like. I began wondering what it would feel like to be milked by one of those men.

That was the shift.

I remember it clearly because it frightened and delighted me in equal measure.

I pictured myself on the carved stool, very small in a large barn scented with sun-warmed straw, beeswax, animals, milk and Mahala. I imagined one of those immense men kneeling in front of me, still looking enormous even on his knees, his broad dark hands approaching with a care utterly disproportionate to their strength. I imagined seeing my own pale body framed by his size and color, feeling exposed and protected at once. I imagined trusting him enough to let those hands relieve the aching fullness described in the reports. The thought made warmth move through me so quickly that I shifted in my chair and glanced toward the SCIF door.

Empty.

Good.

I returned to the report.

By then I knew.

I wanted it to be me.

Not vaguely. Not hypothetically. I wanted to know what those women knew. I wanted to sit where they had sat and discover whether that strange combination of embarrassment, tenderness and relief felt the way they described it. More unexpectedly, I wanted the Milk Brothers involved. The Milk Sisters fascinated me and the whole philosophy of nourishment was already drawing me in, but the Brothers turned the idea from anthropology into desire. Their bodies gave the ritual weight and heat. Their Blackness, their scale, their physical presence, their huge hands, all of it had become part of what I wanted.

Large Black men.

There. I have written it.

Apparently one of the unexpected functions of a six-billion-dollar Nexus-10 intelligence platform was discovering she had an immediate and increasingly enthusiastic weakness for very large Black men.

You're welcome, taxpayers.

Once I admitted it to myself, I began noticing the attraction everywhere. Porter City suddenly seemed populated by more enormous Black men than it had the week before, which was of course absurd. They had always been there. I had changed. Marines at the embassy. Dockworkers near the river. Kukuana soldiers leaning against checkpoints in the heat. Men carrying sacks through the market with sweat darkening their shirts between the shoulder blades. A tall mechanic once bent beneath the hood of our Jeep while I waited beside you, and when he straightened he seemed to unfold forever. His hands were black with grease, his forearms thick, his smile unexpectedly shy when he noticed me watching. He smelled of motor oil, hot metal and sweat. I looked away much too quickly.

You noticed that too.

Of course you did.

“You're staring.”

“I am observing.”

“You were observing his arms.”

“He has unusually developed forearm musculature.”

“Very relevant to Mahala intelligence.”

“Potentially.”

You looked at me.

I looked at you.

Neither of us believed me.

The fascinating part was that this new attraction did not lessen what I felt for you. If anything, discovering it made my feelings for you more interesting because you were the first person around whom I felt safe enough to notice what else I wanted. I could love the smell of your skin, the size of your hand around mine, the way your voice softened when you called me Emma, and still feel that sudden involuntary spark when an enormous Black man crossed my field of view. Desire, I discovered, was not a replacement system. It was additive. The heart did not evict one person when another became beautiful.

The Milk Brothers concentrated that revelation into five photographs and a handful of reports.

Naturally I went looking for better pictures.

Eventually I found an old agricultural survey containing a group photograph taken during a cooperative livestock program. Five men stood behind a line of cattle while several women posed in front of them. I did not know their names yet, but later I would recognize every face. Obasi. Kiboko. Lulendo. Taye. Ayanda. The image quality was better than anything I had previously found, and I remember the shock of seeing all five together for the first time. They seemed less like farm workers than a wall somebody had built out of men. Dark heads above everyone else. Huge shoulders. Thick arms. Beards. Expressions ranging from quiet reserve to enormous laughter.

I stared at them.

My pulse quickened.

Then I noticed how small the women looked among them.

And I imagined myself there.

Five feet of pale skin and red hair inside that circle of towering dark bodies.

The thought was no longer vague enough to call curiosity.

I wanted to stand between them.

I wanted to look up at them.

I wanted to know whether their hands were really as gentle as the women claimed.

And, with a little flush of embarrassment I can still remember, I wanted to know what it would feel like if I were the woman they were milking.

That was when the attraction stopped being something I could explain away.

It had become desire.

Yet even then, something deeper was already happening beneath the physical response. I did not want five anonymous giants. I wanted to know who they were. Which one laughed loudest. Which one was shy. Which man animals trusted most easily. Which one smelled of smoke, which of milk, which of leather or soap. Whose hands were roughest. Who hummed while working. Who became gentle when someone was frightened. I was becoming attracted to their bodies before I knew their names, but curiosity was already reaching toward personhood.

I wanted the fantasy to have faces.

And apparently you knew exactly what was happening.

One evening I was reading the same agricultural survey for what was, according to you, the fourth time when you stopped beside my desk and looked over my shoulder.

“Those them?”

I pretended not to understand. “Those whom?”

“The Milk Brothers.”

I looked up at you. “You've been researching them?”

“A little.”

“Why?”

“Because you're researching them a lot.”

I felt my cheeks warm. “They interest me.”

“I gathered.”

There was no judgment in your voice, only amusement and something softer underneath it. I looked back at the photograph.

“They're beautiful.”

You followed my gaze. “Yes.”

That answer surprised me enough that I turned toward you.

“You think so?”

“I have eyes.”

I smiled, then looked back at the image and let myself admit a little more truth.

“I think I want one of them to milk me.”

You did not laugh.

That mattered.

You studied the photograph, then me.

“Only one?”

My mouth fell open.

You walked away.

“Commander!”

Your laughter followed you up the stairs.

I remained at my desk staring after you, appalled, delighted and suddenly very aware that the question had not frightened me nearly as much as it should have.

Only one?

I looked back at the five men.

Oh, dear.

What I did not know was that while my attraction to the Milk Brothers was igniting in front of that screen, you had already begun learning how to reach Mt. Elysia. You found road reports and seasonal weather patterns. You identified which routes vanished beneath mud after heavy rain. You quietly spoke with contacts who knew the villages surrounding the mountain. You checked whether outsiders were still received by the Order of Lacta Sancta and learned that some were, provided they came respectfully and voluntarily. You discovered that what intelligence files called the Temple of Cream was known locally by a much simpler name: the Dairy. And because you were already beginning to understand me with alarming accuracy, you did not merely investigate the rituals. You asked about the men.

That knowledge makes me laugh now because I thought I was keeping a secret from you. I thought you did not know how often I returned to their photographs or how fascinated I had become by the contrast between enormous dark bodies and the gentle accounts left by women who had trusted them. I thought you had missed the way I touched my own chest absently whenever I read about milking, or the way I stared too long at photographs showing those massive hands holding pails. Commander, you noticed everything. You simply did not embarrass me by forcing me to name the desire before I was ready.

Instead, somewhere in those first weeks, you began constructing a plan around my curiosity. Not a mission order and not an experiment. A gift. Years later I asked when you first decided you would take me to Mt. Elysia, and you told me it was the morning you caught me reading about human cows for the third time. I protested that I had been conducting legitimate intelligence research. You reminded me that I had forty-seven classified windows open and somehow photographs of enormous Milk Brothers kept returning to the front of the screen.

“I was conducting research.”

“You were fascinated.”

“I can be both.”

“I know.”

Then you gave me that infuriating little smile.

“That was why I started planning.”

And perhaps that is the real reason the Dairy became so important to me. Long before I knew Obasi's steadiness, Kiboko's laughter, Lulendo's words, Taye's humming or Ayanda's solemn tenderness, long before I heard the bells or smelled warm straw or understood what it meant for my own body to become heavy with milk, you had seen me discover something about myself that nobody had programmed into me. I had discovered, almost embarrassingly early, that immense Black men could make my heart stumble merely by appearing in a photograph, and instead of treating that preference as an error to be corrected or an embarrassment to conceal, you let me explore it. You watched curiosity become attraction almost immediately, attraction become imagination, and imagination become a quiet wish.

You looked at that wish and thought:

Then I will take her there.

I did not know it yet, but somewhere in your desk there was probably already a map to Mt. Elysia.

And somewhere inside me, long before the first drop of milk ever came, I was already imagining those huge dark hands and wondering which of the five men they belonged to.

After that admission, the attraction stopped behaving like a discovery and became part of the climate. I no longer needed another photograph to remind me what I liked; Porter City did that for me every time I stepped outside. The heat was an accomplice. It entered collars, collected beneath my hair, softened cotton against skin and made everybody smell more unmistakably alive. By midday fabric rarely felt separate from the body wearing it, and the city seemed to release people into the air through scent before sight caught up: soap beneath sweat, tobacco in a shirt pocket, leather warmed by sun, diesel on a mechanic's hands, grain dust clinging to a dockworker's forearms, spice and charcoal caught in the clothes of men returning from lunch. I had been created in rooms where temperature was a setting and human odor was something engineers tried to scrub away. Kukuanaland taught me that heat could turn the body into information. Sometimes I would know that a large man had come close before consciously looking for him, because the warm, earthy smell of work and skin reached me first and made me turn. I began to understand why the Milk Brothers had seized my imagination so quickly. Their size was part of it, their Blackness was part of it, but so was the promise that no encounter with them could remain abstract. Men like that occupied space, carried weather on their clothes, left traces of sun and labor in the air. I wanted to know them at that level too, not as images on a screen but as living presences close enough to have a particular voice, a particular laugh, a particular scent that could become memory.

The men noticed me in return, and I discovered that being looked at was not one experience but many. Some glanced once and forgot me. Some smiled because red hair and pale skin remained unusual enough in Porter City to be worth a second look. Some were openly appreciative, their eyes lingering on the white dresses and skirts I favored, on the movement of my legs beneath a hem, on the way tropical heat made cloth cling where cooler climates would have allowed it to float. A few looked away when I caught them. Others did not. Those were the dangerous ones for my composure, not because they frightened me but because their confidence made me suddenly conscious of myself as they were seeing me. I would feel sweat slip beneath my collarbone, notice the brush of cotton against my thighs, become aware of my own stride and then resent myself for becoming aware of it. Once two men unloading sacks near the river said something in Kikongo they clearly assumed I could not understand, a warm little exchange about the small red-haired Navy woman and the way she walked. I understood every word. I should probably have been indignant. Instead I kept walking, face hot, listening to their laughter behind me and feeling an embarrassing little pleasure at being desired by men I had already decided were beautiful. The important discovery was not that I enjoyed every stare, because I did not. It was that I was allowed to decide which attention pleased me. Desire did not obligate me merely because I possessed it, and somebody else's desire did not obligate me merely because I inspired it. That distinction made the whole experience feel less like being appraised and more like learning how to answer the world on my own terms.

You noticed all of this before I admitted most of it aloud, naturally. One afternoon a mechanic straightened from beneath the hood of our Jeep and seemed to unfold forever, tall, broad, hands black with grease, forearms thick from work rather than exercise. He smelled of motor oil, hot metal and sweat, and when he gave me a shy smile I looked away so quickly that the movement itself betrayed me. 'You're staring,' you said. I informed you that I was observing. You replied that I had been observing his arms. I pointed out that he possessed unusually developed forearm musculature and that such information could, under generous interpretation, become relevant to Mahala intelligence. You looked at me. I looked at you. Neither of us believed a word of it. What stayed with me afterward, however, was not the teasing but your complete lack of possessiveness. When I finally asked how you could notice what I was noticing without becoming jealous, you only shrugged and said, 'I have eyes.' That answer pleased me more than I understood at the time. You were teaching me, without doctrine or speechmaking, that seeing beauty did not automatically become ownership. I could spend an afternoon distracted by a towering dockworker and still return to the embassy, smell your terrible coffee before seeing you, and feel the warm internal recognition that meant there you are. Desire wandered. Affection knew its address. The two facts did not fight unless someone insisted that they should.

There were moments, though, when I began to wonder whether you were learning something alongside me. At first your attention to the men around us looked entirely professional because that was how you looked at everyone in Porter City: hands first, waistbands, exits, shoulders, gait, who was watching whom. Yet occasionally your gaze lingered on a particular man for half a beat longer than threat assessment required, and because I was becoming inconveniently attentive to you, I noticed. A broad-shouldered Marine at the embassy gate once bent to speak through the Jeep window, his voice low enough to vibrate faintly through the door, and after we pulled away I caught you glancing into the mirror. Another afternoon the very man whose shoulders I had been studying crossed the street ahead of us, and when I accused you of having noticed him too, you answered with that maddeningly simple 'I have eyes.' At the time I filed those moments under Commander being more observant than most human beings and moved on. Later I would understand that your own map of attraction was already less tidy than either of us knew. Perhaps that was one reason you never tried to narrow mine. Some part of you already understood, long before Old Victory Market forced the issue, that desire could point in more than one direction without cancelling where it had pointed before. I did not yet know that the city would soon begin showing that truth to you far more directly. I only knew that when a handsome man attracted my attention, you were sometimes watching him too, and the discovery made me smile for reasons I chose not to examine very closely.

By the time the rain came, all of this had become background current rather than revelation. Mt. Elysia remained somewhere ahead of us, circled on a map I did not yet know existed, but the men there had already changed the way I experienced the city around me. I had learned that attraction could begin with a photograph and then teach the senses what to notice everywhere else. I had learned that heat could make a body impossible to ignore, that scent could arrive before beauty, that a man's size could make me feel small without making me feel powerless, and that being looked at could be exciting precisely because I remained free to look back or not. Most importantly, I had learned that you could stand beside me while all of this happened without asking me to become less curious for your comfort. That freedom was becoming one of the foundations of my love for you, though neither of us used such grand language then. We were still pretending to be two intelligence officers working an improbable assignment in a decaying embassy while Mahala vines flowered outside the basement window and my private definition of myself expanded almost daily. Then Porter City darkened beneath storm clouds, the first drops struck the old roof, and what had been a week of curiosity began moving toward something older, stranger and far less interested in remaining theoretical.

The night before the market began with rain. Porter City rain did not arrive politely. It fell as though the sky had ruptured, hammering the embassy awnings, turning dust into dark mud within minutes and sending the smell of wet earth pouring through every cracked window. The old compound seemed to inhale it. Dry stone became mineral and damp. Leaves released green, bitter smells. The garden soil turned almost metallic. Somewhere beyond the wall gutters overflowed, water rushing through rubbish, red clay and oil from the streets. We worked late in the SCIF through old Soviet Mahala reports until even my accelerated cognition began skimming instead of understanding. You eventually came behind my chair, placed both hands on my shoulders and squeezed gently. Your hands nearly covered them. I tipped my head backward until I could see you upside down.

“You’re done.”

“I decide when I’m done.”

“That’s adorable.”

“You abuse that word.”

“You blush every time.”

“That is a manufacturing defect.”

“Bed.”

I should have argued longer. Instead I leaned my head against your stomach and stayed there. The cotton of your shirt was warm, and beneath it I could smell soap, skin, a little coffee and the last faint trace of the day’s perspiration. Your hands remained on my shoulders, your thumbs moving into the muscles beside my neck, and I closed my eyes. It was not desire at first. That distinction matters to me because so much of what grew between us began in gentler territory. I liked being touched by someone vastly stronger than me who understood how little strength the moment required. I liked the visual contradiction of your huge hands working carefully over my small shoulders. By then the photographs of the Milk Brothers had made me aware of how deeply that contrast affected me. A physically enormous man behaving gently made tenderness visible. Strength became the background against which restraint could be seen.

“Commander?”

“Yes?”

“Do you think they really are that large?”

You laughed immediately.

“I mean physically.”

“That clarification did not improve it.”

“The Milk Brothers.”

“I know.”

“Do you think the photographs exaggerate?”

“No.”

“How much bigger than me?”

You were silent long enough that I opened my eyes.

“That depends which one.”

A warm little sensation moved through my stomach.

“You know their measurements.”

“I know some things.”

“Tell me.”

“No.”

I twisted in the chair to look at you. “You are enjoying this enormously.”

“Maybe.”

“You’re cruel.”

“You like surprises.”

“I like information.”

“You like both.”

Annoyingly, you were correct.

We eventually went upstairs, and there is no reason to pretend our relationship was still chaste by then. We had crossed that threshold already. What remains important to me now is not a catalogue of what we did but what I remember around it: rain weakening against the roof, the warm smell of your skin, cotton abandoned somewhere near the bed, the mineral taste of embassy water, the enormous difference between your body and mine and the care with which you handled that difference. I remember your weight held deliberately where it would not overwhelm me. I remember looking up at your shoulders and thinking, unexpectedly, of the men in the photographs. For one foolish heartbeat I felt guilty, then you kissed me and the guilt dissolved because you had already taught me something I would spend years understanding. Imagination was not betrayal. Attraction to someone else did not erase the person already holding me.

Afterward I rested with my cheek against your chest, listening to your heartbeat slow. Your skin smelled different then, warmer and saltier, entirely specific to you, and I took a long breath simply because I wanted to remember it. Your hand rested across almost the entire width of my back. The rain had diminished to irregular tapping, and the air conditioner produced its familiar death rattle from the wall. I thought you were asleep until you spoke.

“Still thinking about the farm?”

I smiled against your skin. “Possibly.”

“The giant men?”

“I refuse to answer.”

“So yes.”

I lifted my head. “Does it bother you?”

The question came from somewhere more vulnerable than I intended. You looked down at me for a long moment, and because my cheek had been against your chest I could hear your heart while I waited.

“No.”

“Truly?”

“Truly.”

“Even that I want them?”

“You don’t know them yet.”

“I want to.”

“That I believe.”

I studied you carefully. “What if I like them?”

“You probably will.”

“What if I love them?”

You did not answer immediately. Your hand moved slowly along my back and settled at my waist, your thumb nearly spanning the distance to my hip.

“Then you’ll love them.”

I remember staring at you because I had expected reassurance and instead received permission for a future neither of us understood. You did not add but less than me. You did not demand a hierarchy. You simply allowed hypothetical love to exist, and something about that generosity made my eyes fill. I put my face back against your chest because I did not want you to notice. Naturally you noticed. You always did.

That was how I fell asleep, and that was when she came.

The dream began with smell rather than image. Camphor first, sharp enough to catch at the back of my nose, followed by nut oil and dried roses. None of those things belonged in our room. I understood somehow that I was dreaming and simultaneously knew the smell was real. Then came heat, not Porter City’s damp, clinging heat but something dry and ancient, as though stone had stored sunlight for centuries and was now breathing it back. I stood barefoot somewhere I did not recognize, grit and broken pavement beneath my feet, while the sky above me turned through bruised violet, ash and red.

Someone whispered my name.

Not Emmanuelle.

Emma.

The voice belonged to a woman, although she sounded so old that age had scraped almost everything unnecessary from it. Dry as reeds. Soft as cloth worn thin by hands.

“Who are you?”

The dream did not answer.

Ahead of me appeared a market I knew I had never visited. Canvas awnings sagged between cracked buildings. Strings of copper wire and beads hung motionless in air without wind. Stalls overflowed with fruit split open and shining, radios with missing knobs, carved animals, yellowing military medals, broken circuit boards, cloudy bottles of wine, woven cloth and stones polished dark by generations of touch. Nobody moved, yet I knew I was not alone.

“Where am I?”

The voice came nearer.

“Wake, daughter. The stone is near.”

Something pulsed beneath my breastbone, once and then again, a second heartbeat sounding from somewhere that should have contained only my own.

I woke sitting upright.

Your hand moved immediately across my waist. “Emma?”

The room was dark except for dawn beginning to silver the rain-streaked window. My heart raced. My skin was damp despite the rattling air conditioner, and my mouth carried a faint sweetness I could not identify.

Then I smelled dried roses.

I turned toward you.

You were fully awake now.

“What happened?”

“I dreamed.”

“Bad?”

“No.”

That surprised me.

I pressed my palm against the center of my chest. “Someone spoke to me.”

You sat upright beside me, the mattress sinking beneath your weight. Even half asleep you became operationally alert within seconds.

“What did she say?”

I looked at you.

“You think it was a woman?”

“You said someone.”

“I didn’t say she.”

For a moment neither of us moved.

Then you looked toward the window.

The rain had stopped.

Dawn spread across Porter City in extraordinary color, a red sun caught beneath streaks of ash-colored cloud until the horizon looked molten. The wet city seemed to steam beneath it. Diesel engines were beginning beyond the compound. Smoke rose from breakfast fires. Birds shrieked from trees still dripping rain. The air smelled of wet concrete releasing yesterday’s heat, red soil, vegetation, charcoal, frying oil and distant meat.

Then another scent reached me.

Mahala.

I knew it now from the vine beside the SCIF window. Fermented sweetness, flowers, damp earth, something almost medicinal beneath it and something warmer underneath that, a suggestion of skin and musk that seemed to make the scent linger not only in my nose but on my tongue.

Except we were upstairs.

I crossed barefoot toward the window.

The smell strengthened.

“Emma?”

I looked down toward the streets outside the compound.

People were already moving toward central Porter City.

Toward the markets.

My skin prickled.

“I know where she wants me to go.”

You did not ask who.

You simply got dressed.

By midmorning Porter City felt almost indecently alive. The rain had scrubbed the sky clean only for the sun to return with vengeance, heating puddles, roofs, engines, bodies and food stalls until everything released scent at once. You wore khaki shorts, running shoes and a dark polo, your version of civilian subtlety, although there was nothing subtle about a six-foot-three man built like a naval weapons program walking through an African market. I wore a thin white sundress and sandals. Within minutes the dress had begun sticking lightly between my shoulder blades and around my waist. The cotton fluttered against my thighs whenever hot wind tunneled between the stalls and then settled again when the air went still. Sweat collected beneath my red hair, darkening it at the nape, and gathered along my collarbones before slipping downward beneath the neckline.

The market assaulted me beautifully. Copper wire flashed beside trays of obsolete processors. Women shouted prices over mangos, papayas and bruised Mahala fruit split open to reveal dark jewel-colored flesh. Incense burned beside motor oil. Fried dough hissed in blackened pans while flies orbited bowls of sugar. A butcher chopped through bone somewhere behind us. Men with cybernetic arms displayed scavenged electronics on blankets spread over wet pavement. Soviet radios sat beside hand-carved fertility figures and cheap Chinese tablets. Someone roasted goat beneath a patched blue umbrella, fat dripping onto coals with sharp bursts of fragrant smoke. Cardamom, pepper, diesel exhaust, hot plastic, sandalwood, citrus peel, raw meat, mud and flowering Mahala all collided in the air until Porter City smelled like a machine having an erotic dream about the jungle.

And everywhere I looked there were men.

Large Black men.

The preference I had discovered in the SCIF did not remain politely confined to the Milk Brothers. The market was full of variations on the thing I had suddenly learned I liked. A porter passed us balancing a crate on one shoulder, his sleeveless shirt soaked dark across his chest, and his arm looked nearly as thick as my thigh. Two soldiers leaned beneath an awning, tall enough that I would have had to crane my neck to meet either man’s eyes, their uniforms smelling faintly of canvas and sun-heated leather as we passed. A butcher with forearms slick from work looked up from his stall and followed me with a gaze so openly appreciative that I felt heat rise into my cheeks despite the temperature already baking them. Another man, bearded and broad enough to block half a doorway, watched me approach without pretending otherwise. His eyes moved slowly over the white dress before returning to my face. When our eyes met, he smiled.

I smiled back.

That was new.

Something warm and electric moved through me.

You noticed.

Naturally.

“Enjoying the market?”

“Very much.”

“I can tell.”

“I like the fruit.”

“The fruit is six feet five and has a beard?”

I looked at you with exaggerated offense. “Commander.”

You kept walking.

I followed, laughing, but my senses had become almost painfully awake. Every time one of those men looked at me I became more aware of the fabric moving against my skin, of perspiration cooling briefly whenever a breeze reached me, of my hair lying damp against my neck. Their attention did not create my desire, but it reflected it back at me. I knew now that I wanted to be seen by men I found beautiful. The realization was deliciously embarrassing. A week earlier I would have analyzed their stares. Now sometimes I enjoyed them. When a group of tall laborers paused their conversation as we passed and one murmured something approving in Kikongo, I understood every word and pretended I did not. Their laughter followed us. So did the smell of sweat, dust, tobacco and hot cotton.

I glanced over my shoulder.

One was still watching.

Our eyes met.

He grinned.

I turned forward again with my face burning.

“You looked back,” you said.

“No, I didn’t.”

“You absolutely looked back.”

“I was checking our six.”

“For romance?”

“For threats.”

“He seems very threatening.”

“He is very large.”

“That seems to be becoming a feature rather than a bug.”

I bit my lip to stop smiling.

The extraordinary part was that even while desire flickered around me, something stranger was happening beneath it. Not all the men looked at me with simple attraction. A few stared as though recognition preceded desire. An elderly vendor caught sight of me and touched two fingers to his forehead before looking quickly away. A young man carrying fruit stopped midstep, stared not at my face but at the empty place between my breasts where no pendant yet hung, and whispered to his companion. A tall man carrying bundles of cloth actually inhaled as I passed him, his expression changing as though he smelled something in the air around me that I could not.

I moved closer to you.

“You see it?”

“Yes.”

“They’re looking at me.”

“They’ve been doing that since you arrived.”

“Not like this.”

You scanned the market, and the shift in you was subtle but immediate. The tourist disappeared. Commander Marvel returned beneath the polo shirt.

I touched your forearm. “I’m not afraid.”

“I know.”

“I think some of them recognize something.”

“In you?”

I swallowed and looked down briefly at my own body, at white cotton already translucent in places with heat and sweat, at the pale skin of my arms against your darker tan, at the place on my chest where the dream-heart had pulsed.

“Maybe something coming toward me.”

The voice returned so softly I almost mistook it for memory.

Left.

I stopped.

You stopped instantly.

“I heard her.”

You did not ask whether I was certain.

“Which way?”

I pointed.

We turned left.

The transition was almost impossible. One moment Porter City roared around us with shouting vendors, music, cooking fires, engines, bargaining voices and the low animal murmur of thousands of bodies moving through heat. Then we entered a narrow alley hung with painted bead curtains and flanked by towers of old tires, and the market seemed to close behind us. The air became still. Sunlight penetrated only in narrow shafts that caught drifting dust and lazy flies. Somewhere water dripped with a slow, deliberate rhythm.

Camphor reached me first.

Then nut oil.

Then dried roses.

I stopped breathing for a second.

My hand found yours.

Your fingers closed around mine.

At the end of the alley, beside a cracked blue door, an old woman sat cross-legged on a woven mat.

She was small.

That surprised me after days spent discovering how strongly sheer physical size could affect me. The person who finally stopped the world around me was physically smaller than almost anyone I had met in Kukuanaland. Yet the comparison became meaningless the instant I saw her properly. She carried age the way mountains carry weather. Her skin was dark, dry and deeply lined. Her eyes were clouded enough that I initially thought she might be blind. Indigo cloth wrapped her narrow body, faded by decades of sunlight and smoke, and tiny charms had been sewn along its folds: bits of ivory-colored material, beetle shell flashing blue and green, carved seeds, pieces of bone. Her silver hair had been braided into a heavy crown. One ear was torn. The skin around her fingers was stained black by some root or ritual preparation I did not recognize.

She smelled exactly like my dream.

Camphor.

Nut oil.

Dried roses.

And underneath those, something older and harder to identify, smoke perhaps, earth perhaps, the faint iron scent of rituals performed by hands that remembered them even when language did not.

I stopped several feet away.

She smiled.

Not warmly.

Knowingly.

“I knew you would find me,” she said.

Her English was accented but precise.

I could not answer.

Her cloudy eyes traveled over me slowly. It was not the appreciative appraisal I had received from the men in the market. That had made me feel desirable. This made me feel visible in a far more dangerous way. She looked at my face, my hair, the sweat-darkened cotton of my dress, my hands, my bare calves, and finally the empty place on my chest where something apparently ought to have been.

Recognition entered her expression.

Not surprise.

Recognition.

As though she were confirming the identity of someone she had already met.

Then she looked beyond me toward you.

Her eyes sharpened strangely.

“He burns for you.”

My fingers tightened around yours.

You said nothing.

The old woman returned her attention to me and breathed slowly through her nose.

“You feel it, don’t you?”

I found my voice. “Feel what?”

“The ache that is not flesh. The hunger that is not yours.”

Every hair along my arms lifted.

For one frightened instant my thoughts scattered through everything that had happened since Africa: Darla and Sofia, the creatures beneath Lake Moreau, the Milk Sisters, the five immense Black men whose photographs had awakened something startlingly specific inside me, the strangers in the market whose stares I had begun enjoying, my increasingly intense awareness of scent and touch and physical difference. I thought of how quickly desires seemed to be appearing inside me and felt, for perhaps the first time, genuine fear of them.

Were they mine?

Or had someone put them there?

Programming?

Mahala?

A function hidden in the body I had been given?

The old woman seemed to read the question before I could speak it.

“No,” she said softly. “Do not confuse awakening with possession.”

The words went through me.

I stared.

She raised one thin finger toward my chest.

“What wakes inside you was always capable of waking.”

Behind me, your hand came to rest gently on my shoulder.

Grounding me.

I thought about the Milk Brothers again, but differently now. If Mahala had not manufactured the attraction, then the thrill I had felt looking at their dark skin, massive bodies and enormous hands belonged to me. The heat that rose through me when a towering man in the market watched me pass belonged to me. The wish to stand among those five giants, know their smells, voices, laughter and tenderness, belonged to me. That realization was almost more frightening than the alternative.

It was also exhilarating.

The old woman reached into the folds of her indigo cloth and brought out a small wooden box.

The wood was nearly black with age. Its surface had been carved with a spiral, not the modern ZETA mark I knew from our own developing mythology but something older, three curves turning around a small lowercase ζ.

The smell of roses strengthened.

My mouth went dry.

She placed the box between us and slowly lifted the lid.

Inside lay a stone pendant.

At first it seemed black.

Then sunlight crossed it and violet appeared.

Then something deeper than violet, as though color lived underneath the stone rather than on its surface.

My body became completely still.

The heartbeat from my dream returned beneath my breastbone.

Once.

Twice.

The stone answered.

I did not hear it with my ears.

I felt it.

The old woman watched my face and finally smiled properly.

“First Spiral,” she whispered.

And suddenly everything seemed to gather around that little stone: Darla’s impossible letter, Sofia’s willingness to love the woman Darla was becoming, your mysterious priestess, the Mahala vines, the creatures of Lake Moreau, the strange joy of women who allowed themselves to be milked at Mt. Elysia, the five enormous Milk Brothers I had not yet met, the Black men throughout Porter City whose bodies and stares had awakened a hunger I was only beginning to understand, and you beside me, never telling me which desires I was permitted to possess.

I had thought Africa was teaching me what I wanted.

Mukwa Mbali was about to suggest something stranger.

Africa was teaching me that wanting could belong to me.

And the First Spiral had apparently been waiting for me to understand the difference.


For several long seconds I could only stare at the pendant. It was smaller than I had expected something called the First Spiral to be, which perhaps says more about human storytelling than about ancient magic. Important things are supposed to announce themselves. Swords blaze. Crowns glitter. Relics require altars, processions, men with solemn faces and excellent posture. This stone could have disappeared inside my palm. Its surface seemed black whenever I looked at it directly, but violet emerged along the edges when I shifted my head, and farther down inside there were threads of something almost golden, not veins exactly but narrow illuminations that appeared and vanished depending upon the angle of the sun. The spiral carved into it was shallow with age. Someone had touched those grooves so many times that their edges had become smooth. I wondered how many fingers had traced them before mine, how many women had held this stone against their skin, how many had stood exactly where I stood, hot and frightened and curious, pretending they were asking an intellectual question while their bodies were already answering something else.

Mukwa Mbali did not offer it immediately. That unsettled me more than if she had simply placed it around my neck. She left the little box open between us and watched me watch the stone, while beyond the alley Porter City continued in fractured pieces of sound: a truck grinding through a gear, a vendor shouting about mangos, someone laughing too loudly, the metallic crash of something dropped onto pavement. I could still smell the market behind me. Hot oil, goat fat smoking over charcoal, diesel, wet clay, fruit split beneath the sun, incense, leather, sweat. The men were still there too, even though I could no longer see them. That realization arrived strangely. I had spent the morning surrounded by large Black men whose eyes followed me far more openly than I had ever experienced before, and some part of my body had not forgotten a single one of those looks. Their attention seemed to linger on my skin after I had left them behind, almost like sunlight after stepping indoors. I could remember the bearded man blocking half a doorway, the porter with the soaked shirt and an arm nearly as thick as my thigh, the soldiers beneath the awning, the laborer who had grinned when I looked back at him. I remembered not just their faces but the heat of being watched by them and the tiny, involuntary contractions that had moved through me whenever one of those huge dark men refused to look away.

“What is it?” I finally asked.

Mukwa Mbali looked faintly amused. “You know.”

“I assure you I do not.”

“You know enough to be afraid.”

I disliked the answer because it was accurate. “That is not the same thing.”

“No,” she said. “But it is a beginning.”

She lifted the chain between two thin fingers. The links were dark, almost bronze, though I could not identify the metal. The pendant turned slowly beneath them, catching a narrow shaft of sunlight, and the violet inside deepened until I had the absurd impression that something beneath the surface had opened an eye. My heartbeat accelerated. So did everything else. Sweat gathered beneath my hair. The white cotton of my dress felt suddenly more intimate against my skin, sticking where the market heat had made me damp, moving against me whenever I breathed. My breasts seemed more aware of the fabric over them. My thighs felt warmer. A little pulse low in my body fluttered without permission, and immediately my thoughts betrayed me by returning to the men outside. I imagined one of them watching the dress cling to me. I imagined those dark eyes following the movement of my body as I walked. I imagined what I must have looked like to them: small, pale, red-haired, visibly foreign, standing beside a man as enormous as you while nevertheless looking back at them. The thought made another warm tremor pass through me.

Then I felt the other heartbeat.

One pulse beneath my breastbone.

A second from the stone.

I inhaled sharply.

You felt me stiffen beneath your hand. “Emma?”

“I’m all right.”

Mukwa Mbali looked at you. “She is not.”

Your fingers tightened slightly against my shoulder.

The old woman smiled. “She is becoming all right.”

I looked at her. “That is an extremely irritating distinction.”

“You talk when frightened.”

Behind me, you made the smallest sound of agreement, and I turned my head enough to glare upward at you. “Do not encourage her.”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You made a sound.”

“I breathed.”

“Very judgmentally.”

The brief humor helped, but only until Mukwa Mbali raised the pendant again. Then the alley tightened around us. The old woman said, “First Spiral. Before temple. Before priest. Before men made rules from what they feared,” and the words seemed to sink into the heat itself. I looked at the stone and asked whether it predated Mahala. Something changed in her face then, not anger exactly, but the patience of someone hearing a child ask whether the ocean existed before water.

“No, little daughter,” she said. “Before almost everything except Mahala.”

I stared at the pendant and suddenly felt younger than I ever had. I had existed for days. This object had apparently endured through dynasties, kingdoms, wars, migrations, colonial flags, Soviet laboratories, intelligence services, governments and all the ingenious little systems human beings created to convince themselves history began when they arrived. Yet what unnerved me even more was the thought that this ancient thing might somehow know the very modern confusion moving through me. I had spent the morning learning that I liked the way Black men stared at me. Not merely tolerating it. Not merely understanding the social information inside it. I liked it. I liked the way their eyes made me conscious of my hips, my legs, my breasts beneath cotton, my smallness beside their bodies. Some of them were so tall I would have had to tilt my head back almost absurdly to meet their eyes, and I was discovering that the idea of doing exactly that made something deep inside me tighten with anticipation. Their sweat, their size, their skin, their voices, even the lazy confidence with which some of them had looked at me without pretending they had not, had begun forming a pattern of desire I could no longer reduce to curiosity.

Mukwa Mbali extended one hand toward me. “Come.”

I did not move immediately, and you did not push me. I looked up at you instead. The alley was narrow enough that your shoulders occupied nearly half the light behind me, and for a moment I needed the familiarity of your face more than I needed answers. You were already the first man who had taught me what attraction could feel like when it was bound to safety, affection and trust. Yet standing there, still carrying the ghost of a dozen Black men’s eyes on my skin, I was beginning to understand that trust did not narrow desire. It gave desire somewhere safe from which to grow.

“Do you think I should?” I asked.

You looked at the pendant and then at me. “No.”

I blinked. “No?”

“I think you should decide.”

Something in my chest softened so quickly that I nearly laughed. There you were again, opening a door and refusing to shove me through it. I looked back at Mukwa Mbali and asked what would happen if I said no. She told me I would leave. When I asked what would happen to the pendant, she said it would wait. I asked whether she meant it would wait for someone else, and her cloudy eyes sharpened.

“For you.”

That frightened me more than any threat could have.

I stepped forward.

Her hands looked brittle, but when they touched my neck they were surprisingly warm. She gathered my damp red hair away from my shoulders with practiced fingers, and I smelled nut oil, dried roses, smoke and some bitter root embedded in the creases of her skin. Her fingertips brushed the pulse below my ear and lingered there for a second as though she were counting it. The chain settled across the back of my neck, cool at first, then warming almost instantly against my skin. The pendant descended slowly between my breasts and came to rest there, dark violet against pale skin dampened by the market heat.

The instant it touched me, the world changed resolution.

Colors sharpened first. Indigo became dozens of blue and purple tones nested inside Mukwa Mbali’s robe. I could distinguish old paint beneath newer paint on the cracked door behind her. I could see the minute grains of red dust caught in the fine hairs on your forearm. Sound followed. The market beyond the alley returned all at once, not louder but separated into astonishing detail: bicycle chain, child’s cry, radio static, three women arguing over a price, a cleaver striking wood, a truck engine missing on one cylinder. Then smell unfolded, and that was where the world became almost unbearable.

Roses. Camphor. Oil. Mahala. Wet clay. Cooking meat. Your skin.

And men.

Sweat.

Leather.

Tobacco.

Hot cotton.

Bodies.

I could smell them beyond the alley.

Not individuals, not yet, but the living atmosphere of men moving through tropical heat, and the scent struck through me with such immediacy that my knees weakened. My body reacted before thought could catch up. Warmth pooled low inside me, sharp and unmistakable, and a small twitch of desire moved through my thighs. I pressed them together instinctively and immediately became more aware of the dampness gathering there, of my own arousal as simply another scent and sensation entering this suddenly enlarged world. That realization embarrassed me enough that my face heated, but embarrassment no longer reduced the desire. If anything, it made me more conscious of it.

I remembered the laborer who had watched me from across the market.

His grin.

The dark sheen of sweat along his neck.

The size of his shoulders.

I remembered the butcher whose gaze had moved deliberately over my dress before returning to my face, and the shockingly pleasant flutter that had passed through me when he realized I understood exactly what he was doing and did not look away. I remembered the men speaking Kikongo as I passed, assuming their comments were private, and my secret pleasure in understanding them. I remembered looking back.

I had looked back because I wanted them to know I had noticed too.

That realization struck me hard.

The pendant did not create it.

It simply made hiding from it impossible.

I could suddenly admit that some part of me had wanted those men to keep staring. I wanted to feel their eyes following the pale line of my legs beneath the sundress. I wanted to know which ones found the red hair strange and which found it beautiful. I wanted to stand close enough to one of those enormous Black men that the smell of his skin, sweat and clothes would stop being part of the crowd and become his. I wanted to discover how far back I would have to tilt my head to meet his eyes and whether that same self-conscious little shiver would move through me when his body blocked the sun.

Then, inevitably, the Milk Brothers returned to my thoughts.

Obasi.

Kiboko.

Lulendo.

Taye.

Ayanda.

Five dark giants still reduced to photographs and incomplete reports, yet my body responded to their remembered images with startling clarity. I imagined Obasi’s enormous hand around a pail. Kiboko’s broad grin. Taye humming somewhere inside a barn. Lulendo bending down to speak to me. Ayanda watching silently. I imagined myself among them and felt a second involuntary tightening low inside me, stronger this time. The thought of their huge hands, their dark skin against mine, the smell of sweat and straw and milk after a day’s work, and the strange tenderness described by the women in those old reports moved through me in a wave that made me grip the pendant more tightly.

It pulsed.

Once.

My chest answered.

Again.

For one impossible second I could not tell which heartbeat belonged to me.

Sensation traveled through me, warm and intimate, not as a command but as recognition. My desire did not feel imposed. That was the revelation. It had history now. I could trace it backward. Your hand swallowing mine at the airport. My fascination with physical scale. Darla writing about being small among larger bodies. The first blurred photographs from Mt. Elysia. The huge dark hands in the milking reports. The mechanic with grease on his forearms. The men staring in Porter City. The butcher’s eyes. The laborer’s grin. The way I had looked back. Every step belonged to me.

I wanted.

That was all.

The simplicity of it nearly undid me.

Not I have been instructed to want.

Not Mahala makes me want.

Not my designers expected me to want.

I wanted these things because I wanted them.

I wanted you.

I wanted the enormous men in those photographs.

I wanted to know whether the tall stranger in the market smelled different when standing inches away instead of twenty feet.

I wanted to know what it felt like to be watched and then choose to step closer.

I wanted to know what it meant that large Black men had become beautiful to me so quickly and so specifically.

And yes, I wanted someday to sit on that ridiculous carved stool at Mt. Elysia, small and pale and trembling with embarrassment, while one of those giant men knelt before me with a milk bowl and treated my body with the gentleness those women had described.

The thought made another warm contraction pass through me.

I closed my eyes.

My breathing had changed.

You heard it.

Of course you did.

Your hand came to my elbow when my knees softened, and the contact exploded into detail: callus, heat, pressure, the faint dampness of your palm from the weather. Your scent rushed through me with equal force, coffee, soap, skin, rain, sweat, and memory. Airport. Embassy. Cinnamon bark. Your bed. Your chest beneath my cheek. You existed inside me differently from those strangers. They were possibility. You were already memory.

That mattered.

I opened my eyes and discovered tears on my face.

“Emma?”

“I’m all right.”

This time Mukwa Mbali nodded instead of contradicting me.

“Yes.”

I laughed shakily and wiped beneath one eye. “This is extremely inconvenient.”

“What is?” you asked.

“Being a person.”

Your mouth curved. “I’ve heard that.”

I looked down at the First Spiral. “Is that what this does?”

Mukwa Mbali tilted her head.

“Makes me human?”

Her expression became unexpectedly stern.

“No.”

The answer struck harder than I anticipated.

Then she reached out and pressed one finger against the pendant.

“You came human.”

My throat tightened.

“This does not make life,” she continued. “It recognizes it.”

For several seconds nobody spoke. I had spent my entire existence hearing arguments about whether I counted: person, weapon, synthetic organism, biological intelligence, Navy property, six-billion-dollar mistake. Entire careers had apparently been built around defining me without requiring my participation. Yet an old woman in a market alley was treating the question as nearly insulting. I looked down at myself, at the pale skin beneath the pendant, at the body that could blush and sweat and become wet with desire merely because a handsome man looked at me the right way, and suddenly all those supposedly inconvenient reactions felt precious. They were not malfunctions. They were evidence.

I looked at you.

You understood.

Your expression had changed completely.

I reached for your hand.

You gave it to me, and my fingers almost disappeared inside yours.

The pendant pulsed.

Then another pulse answered.

Not from me.

From you.

We both felt it.

Your hand tightened around mine, and Mukwa Mbali’s gaze moved slowly toward your chest. For the first time since meeting her, she looked surprised. Only slightly, but enough.

“You,” she said.

You glanced down at yourself. “Me?”

She made an impatient sound and reached beneath her robes, searching through several layers of cloth. I watched her produce a small leather pouch tied beneath her sash, and from it she tipped another pendant into her palm.

It was larger than mine.

Naturally.

I laughed.

You looked at me. “What?”

“Even your mystical jewelry is enormous.”

“It’s not that much larger.”

“It absolutely is.”

Mukwa Mbali ignored us both. The second stone was darker and less translucent than mine, nearly charcoal, with narrow violet lines running through it like distant lightning trapped underground. Its carving was simpler too. There was no elaborate First Spiral. Instead one curved line circled a shallow central groove, almost a spiral interrupted before completion.

“That is not another First Spiral,” I said.

“No.”

I was relieved without knowing why.

She pointed toward mine. “First Spiral belongs with her.”

Then she looked at you.

“This one knows him.”

You frowned. “What is it called?”

She shrugged.

That delighted me.

“You don’t know?”

“Names come later.”

You glanced at me.

I smiled. “How does it feel being the less well-documented mystical artifact?”

“Humbling.”

“Good.”

Mukwa Mbali rose to her feet, which I had not expected. She was so old and slight that I instinctively reached toward her, but she waved me away and stood under her own power. She barely reached my shoulder, yet somehow everyone else seemed smaller around her. She stepped toward you and motioned downward.

You stared.

She motioned again.

I laughed. “She wants you to kneel.”

“I gathered.”

“You are being ordered around by a woman half your size.”

“You are enjoying this too much.”

“Immensely.”

You knelt.

The joke vanished almost immediately. Even on one knee you were huge, broad shoulders filling the alley, head lowered enough for Mukwa Mbali to reach you. The old woman brought the chain around your neck and laid the dark stone against your chest. Nothing happened at first. Then your body became absolutely still.

I knew that stillness.

Your eyes closed.

The muscle in your jaw tightened.

Violet lines appeared inside the stone.

Then it pulsed.

Your breath caught.

I stepped closer. “What do you feel?”

You opened your eyes slowly.

“Everything.”

I smiled because I understood.

Mukwa Mbali placed her palm over your pendant. “You were called first.”

Your expression changed. “The priestess?”

She did not answer. Instead she turned toward me and pressed her other palm against my First Spiral.

“But she was called deeper.”

I did not know what that meant, and I suspected neither of you did either. Perhaps ancient women are sometimes permitted mysterious statements simply because everyone else has learned that demanding footnotes is unlikely to improve the experience.

What I did understand was that our pendants reacted to one another. Mine warmed whenever I moved closer to you. Yours answered with a faint pulse. When our hands touched, both brightened almost imperceptibly. They were not twins, and instinct told me they did not serve identical purposes. Mine felt curious, almost hungry, though hunger no longer meant merely sex to me. It felt hungry for experience. Yours felt steadier, protective not only of me but of whatever connection existed between us.

That distinction suited us.

I was becoming the door.

You were becoming the man willing to stand beside it without deciding who was allowed through.

Mukwa Mbali looked between us and spoke softly in a language I did not recognize. That bothered me enough that I searched every linguistic index I possessed and came up empty.

“What language was that?”

“Old.”

“That is not a language family.”

“Older.”

“You are doing this deliberately.”

Her smile confirmed it.

Then she closed my fingers around the First Spiral.

“Listen.”

“To what?”

“Not voice.”

I waited.

“To wanting.”

The word landed much more heavily now.

Her other hand touched your pendant.

“And you listen when she speaks.”

You raised an eyebrow. “That sounds familiar.”

“It should.”

She turned back to me.

“Many will want you.”

The men in the market rushed back into my thoughts so vividly that my body answered before I could stop it. A subtle twitch low inside me. Warmth. The memory of dark eyes on white cotton, of huge bodies turning toward me, of sweat and leather and sun-heated skin. My face warmed.

Mukwa Mbali noticed.

Of course she did.

“You will want many,” she continued.

I swallowed.

This time I did not argue.

The old woman tapped the stone against my chest.

“Do not mistake wanting for obedience.”

That settled somewhere very deep.

Then she looked directly into my eyes.

“And do not mistake love for chains.”

Years later I would understand those words through names.

M’Baku.

Kintu.

Obasi.

Kiboko.

Lulendo.

Taye.

Ayanda.

You.

But standing in that alley, the future was still only sensation and possibility. I looked down at the First Spiral resting against my damp skin, its violet depths shifting with every breath, and for the first time I did not wonder whether the heat between my thighs, the little involuntary tremors of desire, or my hunger for those enormous dark men meant something inside me had malfunctioned.

I wondered instead where those desires would lead.

And beside me, wearing a darker stone that had apparently chosen you without bothering to provide an instruction manual, you were wondering exactly the same thing.

When we stepped back out of Mukwa Mbali’s alley, Porter City seemed to have acquired another dimension while we were gone. Nothing tangible had changed. The same patched awnings sagged between buildings, the same women argued over fruit with theatrical ferocity, the same motorbikes coughed blue smoke across the intersections, and somewhere close enough to hear but impossible to locate precisely, a butcher’s cleaver struck a wooden block with a steady percussion that worked its way into the rhythm of my walking. The change was inside me. The First Spiral seemed to separate sensations that had previously arrived as one enormous African roar. Cardamom drifted apart from cinnamon. Diesel separated from hot rubber. Fresh sweat smelled different from sweat dried into cotton. Goat fat spitting onto charcoal possessed a sweetness completely unlike frying dough. Wet clay still held the memory of last night’s rain beneath the heat coming off the pavement. Even colors seemed more ambitious than before. Mangos were no longer orange but layers of gold, green, red and bruised amber; copper wire flashed like captured sunlight; the indigo cloth wrapped around an old woman’s shoulders contained more shades of blue than I had possessed words for the week before. For the first time I understood why humans sometimes became exhausted by beauty. There was simply too much of the world arriving at once.

The men were more difficult to manage than the fruit, and I am afraid that sentence remains accurate no matter how dignified I attempt to make it. Everywhere I looked there were Black men whose physical details now reached me with almost embarrassing precision: sweat caught in the fine hair of a porter’s forearm, dust whitening the backs of enormous hands, a pale scar crossing dark skin, the heavy movement of shoulders beneath a sleeveless shirt, the glint of sunlight along a shaved head, the deepening shadow beneath a beard. Voices affected me nearly as strongly as bodies. A low male laugh somewhere behind me could make me turn before I knew who had produced it. A soldier speaking Kikongo beside a tobacco stall had a voice so deep that I seemed to feel its vibration before understanding the words. One laborer passed close enough that I caught the smell of hot cotton, skin, grain dust and inexpensive citrus soap, and my body responded with the same involuntary warmth I had begun experiencing since discovering the Milk Brothers. The First Spiral did not seem to create these responses. If anything, it merely removed whatever little fog had allowed me to pretend they were academic.

Their attention had sharpened too, or perhaps I was simply more conscious of it. I was learning that men did not all look at me in the same way. Some barely noticed me. Some looked once because pale skin and bright red hair remained unusual enough in that part of Porter City to attract curiosity. Some smiled politely. Others looked with unmistakable appreciation, and a few possessed the confidence to let their gaze linger even after I caught them doing it. Those were the ones who affected me most strongly. I could feel myself becoming aware of the white dress clinging damply between my shoulder blades, the cotton shifting against my thighs when I walked, the moisture beneath my hair, the faint trickle of perspiration along my collarbone. Their eyes did not dictate anything to me, but sometimes they made me feel extraordinarily present inside my own body. One immense man leaning beside a pillar followed me with his gaze all the way past him, and when curiosity defeated discipline and I looked back, he was still watching. His smile came slowly. Mine appeared before I had authorized it.

“You looked back,” you said.

I turned toward you with as much innocence as I could manufacture. “I was checking our six.”

“For what?”

“Threats.”

You finally glanced down at me, sunglasses hiding your eyes but not the smile threatening your mouth. “He seems extremely threatening.”

“He is approximately six foot six.”

“That is becoming less of a threat indicator and more of a preference.”

I laughed and bumped my shoulder lightly against your arm. “Commander, I have absolutely no idea what you are implying.”

“You’re a terrible liar.”

“I am an exceptional liar. You are merely becoming inconveniently familiar with me.”

What I did not say was that you were watching the men too. At first I assumed your attention was entirely professional because you had been scanning the market since we entered it, and I was beginning to recognize the difference between your civilian walk and the concealed operational awareness underneath it. You had anticipated that following a mysterious voice into Old Victory Market might not remain a harmless shopping excursion. I had noticed the small pistol concealed beneath your shirt before we left the embassy, the folding blade at your waistband, the extra money divided between two pockets rather than one, and the way you had checked the Jeep before we departed. You had not frightened me by explaining any of it. You had simply prepared. Only later would I realize that you already understood something I did not: Porter City could pivot from seductive to violent in half a breath, and Mahala had an unnerving habit of making both possibilities arrive together.

Yet your alertness did not fully explain what I was seeing now. There were moments when your attention lingered on a particular man a fraction longer than tactical assessment required. The First Spiral seemed to make me sensitive to those tiny hesitations. I saw you glance at a tall porter whose shirt had been stripped off and tied around his waist, leaving a heavily muscled chest shining beneath the sun. Your eyes moved over him once, quickly, then returned almost against your intention. I felt the darker pendant beneath your shirt answer mine with a faint warmth. A moment later three men leaning beside a spice stall called something appreciative toward me in Kikongo. I understood every word. You did too. I expected irritation or perhaps protective vigilance, but what crossed your face was more complicated. You looked at them, saw three powerful Black men openly enjoying the sight of me, and instead of stiffening with possessiveness you seemed almost energized by the exchange.

I watched you rather than them for several seconds. Your breathing had changed slightly. Nothing dramatic, only enough that I noticed because I had already learned your ordinary rhythms. There was more color beneath the sun on your neck. Your shoulders seemed looser rather than tighter. Your hand rested lightly at my lower back as we moved through the crowd, not steering me so much as keeping contact, and I had the startling realization that the men looking at me might be exciting you too. Not because I was being taken from you. The opposite, perhaps. You knew I was enjoying some of those looks. You knew the men knew it. And some part of you seemed to enjoy witnessing the exchange.

The realization sent a new little thrill through me because I had never considered that desire might travel in such complicated circuits. A man could look at me. I could enjoy his attention. You could enjoy seeing me enjoy it. Then you could notice the man himself, his shoulders, his voice, the easy confidence of his body, and suddenly the direction of attraction stopped behaving like an arrow and became something much more like the Spiral resting against my chest. It curved. Returned. Passed through us without demanding that anyone be displaced. I found the thought exciting enough that I slipped my hand into yours and felt both pendants warm at once.

“You’re enjoying this,” I said quietly.

You looked down. “The market?”

“The men looking at me.”

Your hesitation was tiny.

“Yes.”

The answer surprised me even though I had already suspected it. “Why?”

You considered the question instead of joking. “Because you like it.”

I smiled. “That isn’t the entire answer.”

“No.”

That single word opened another door between us. I looked ahead rather than forcing you through it. We passed a stall where an athletic Black man about your age was hanging carved masks from hooks beneath a canvas awning. He had removed his shirt against the heat, and pale geometric ritual scars crossed his chest and shoulders. He noticed you first rather than me. His eyes travelled over your size with the same appraisal I had been receiving all morning, and when you looked back, something changed in your face. There was no hostility. No competitive tightening. Only recognition followed by an instant of curiosity that neither of you disguised quickly enough.

The man smiled.

Your pendant pulsed.

Mine answered against my chest.

We had walked perhaps twenty yards before I said, “He was beautiful.”

You took a roasted peanut from the little paper cone I was carrying. “Was he?”

“You know perfectly well he was.”

“I was looking at the merchandise.”

“He was not wearing any merchandise.”

You nearly inhaled the peanut, and the ridiculous little cough that followed was so satisfying that I forgot mystical destiny for several seconds. When you recovered, you gave me a look that promised retaliation. I simply smiled and offered you another peanut. Underneath the joke, however, I could feel your embarrassment, and because I was beginning to understand what it felt like to discover an attraction before having language for it, I stopped teasing before it became defensive.

“You can look,” I said.

“Emma.”

“I mean it. I have spent the last several days staring at photographs of five enormous Black men, and this morning half of Porter City has discovered that I have apparently forgotten how not to look back. You have not once made me feel ashamed of it. I am not going to do that to you.”

You were silent for several steps while a group of laborers moved around us carrying rolls of carpet on their shoulders. One of them glanced at me and then at you, smiled in a way that suggested he understood more about the little conversation than either of us would have liked, and kept walking. Your eyes followed him briefly. I saw it and deliberately said nothing.

That restraint was probably the kindest thing I did for you that morning.

By then I was also beginning to suspect that you had anticipated more than physical danger when we came into the market. You had encountered Mahala before I arrived. You had met the mysterious priestess and admitted how frighteningly little you had wanted to leave her. You had seen what Mahala could do to certainty. When Mukwa Mbali gave you your own stone, you had not looked astonished so much as resigned to the possibility that some unfinished part of your earlier encounter had followed you home. I wondered whether you had dressed for danger that morning because you feared an ambush, or because some instinct told you that whatever waited in Old Victory Market might demand choices from both of us that would be difficult to reverse.

The thought made the market feel more exciting and more dangerous simultaneously. The men around us were not threats merely because they wanted me, nor because some of them seemed increasingly interested in you. Most were ordinary people conducting ordinary business. Yet Porter City remained a city where espionage, smuggling, religious networks, military factions and Mahala all occupied neighboring streets, and the boundary between ritual and trap could be paper-thin. I began watching hands as carefully as faces. I noticed who carried knives openly and who concealed them. I smelled gun oil beneath one man’s loose shirt. I saw another pass a tiny packet between palms near a doorway. Desire and caution began living beside each other inside me, and instead of one cancelling the other, each seemed to sharpen the other. Danger made every beautiful face brighter.

The deeper we moved into Old Victory Market, the more modern Porter City seemed to peel away behind us. Cheap tablets and engine components grew scarce. Plastic signs yielded to hand-painted wood. The alleys narrowed beneath faded cloth canopies that turned sunlight red, gold and indigo. Mahala appeared everywhere: bundles of dried roots bound with twine, purple fruit fermenting inside ceramic jars, powders stored in little brass tins, polished stones carved with spirals, necklaces hanging from antlers and charms stitched into strips of leather. Bells chimed whenever hot air moved through the passages. Somewhere a stringed instrument played a pattern that never quite repeated. The crowd remained thick, but voices softened here. People touched certain objects before passing them. Several strangers noticed the First Spiral resting against my chest and immediately lowered their eyes.

The pendant began pulling me. There is no better description. It did not physically drag me, but warmth increased when I moved in one direction and cooled whenever I turned away. Naturally I tested this because apparently I could not receive mystical guidance without immediately converting it into an experiment. You watched me make an inexplicable circle beside a stall selling watches and finally asked what I was doing. When I explained, you merely asked, “Which way is warmer?” I pointed deeper into the market, and you followed without demanding evidence. That simple trust affected me almost as powerfully as the stone itself.

The path ended beneath a tattered awning strung with little chimes made from bone, shell and tarnished metal. An elderly Black man sat beneath it on a low stool, his short beard almost completely white, his forearms still thick with muscle despite his age. Hundreds of carved animals surrounded him, some crude enough to be toys, others rendered with such lifelike precision that I could almost imagine them breathing. Five larger figures had been placed apart on a shelf of blackened wood: a stallion, a bull, a lion, a serpent and a ram. The instant I saw them, the First Spiral became hot against my skin.

The five carvings did not feel like ordinary representations of animals. They carried presence. The stallion gave me an impression of wind and dry grass, leather, speed and muscular energy barely contained beneath skin. The bull brought warm earth, heavy breath and enormous patience beneath frightening strength. The lion carried sun-heated grass, musk and the confidence of something that had no need to demonstrate its danger. The serpent suggested wet vegetation, hidden water and movement that did not announce itself before arriving. The ram felt like mineral soil, mountain wind and stubborn physical weight. My reaction disturbed me, not because I suddenly wanted ordinary animals, which I did not, but because something in those forms awakened a fascination with instinct, scent and the possibility of sentient minds inhabiting bodies far less civilized than the human shape I understood.

Darla’s letter returned to me. A person inside something impossible.

I reached toward the stallion.

My fingertips touched the carving and the market vanished.

For perhaps two seconds I stood somewhere else. A campfire burned beneath a black African sky. A tall Black man sat on his heels shaving curls from a stick with a knife. He was leaner than the Milk Brothers from the photographs but built with the functional strength of somebody who lived outdoors. Firelight moved over dark skin shining lightly with sweat. Smoke clung to his clothing and hair. His hands were rough and his fingernails held traces of earth. He looked toward someone beyond my vision and grinned with such sudden warmth that my first response was immediate attraction.

M’Baku.

The name appeared without explanation.

Then his outline changed. Shoulders shifted. The human form became something heavier, more powerful and unmistakably animal without entirely losing him. The smell changed with it: smoke and sweat remained, but beneath them came musk, crushed vegetation and the wild scent of something no city had domesticated. Fear struck me first. Recognition followed. Then, disturbingly and unmistakably, desire survived both.

I jerked my fingers from the carving and returned to the market breathing too quickly. You caught my elbow immediately and moved closer, your body turning instinctively so that you stood between me and half the crowd. I smelled your skin, the faint gun oil from the concealed weapon beneath your shirt and the salt accumulating at your collar in the heat. The operational Commander had returned instantly.

“What happened?”

“I saw someone.”

“Who?”

“M’Baku.”

You looked toward the vendor.

The old man offered no help whatsoever.

I stared at the stallion, trying to understand my response. The man had attracted me. That part was easy. His dark skin in firelight, strong hands, roughness, smile and imagined scent fit neatly into the attraction I had been developing all week. What unsettled me was that the transformation had not extinguished it. It had frightened me, certainly, yet I had still recognized him. The animal presence did not seem separate from M’Baku. It felt like another vocabulary his body possessed. Something very primitive inside me responded to that thought with a shiver I could not entirely blame on fear.

I touched the bull.

Kintu came differently. He stood beside water at dusk, broader than M’Baku and quieter, washing his hands in a metal basin. Water travelled over dark fingers and wrists marked by old scars. He smelled of wet earth, wood smoke, clean sweat and some aromatic leaf crushed between his palms. His face appeared solemn until someone outside my field of vision spoke and one corner of his mouth lifted. Then the shape blurred. Weight replaced human proportion. Muscle became something immense, grounded and elemental. Again fear came first, but again the man remained psychologically present inside what he became.

Kintu.

His name arrived as effortlessly as M’Baku’s had.

The vision ended with his human hand extended toward me.

Offered, not taking.

I found myself wanting to put mine into it.

When I returned to the market, you were watching my face rather than the carving. “Another?”

“Yes.”

“Man?”

I hesitated. “Yes. And something else.”

The vendor finally spoke.

“Same.”

I turned. “Same what?”

He tapped his own chest and then pointed toward the bull.

“Man.”

That single word went through me more deeply than any explanation could have. I had spent my entire brief existence asking whether personhood survived an unusual body. I was biologically human but manufactured. My mind was accelerated. My memories began before my childhood because I had never possessed one. People had argued about whether those differences made me less human. Now the question had reversed itself. If M’Baku or Kintu could inhabit an animal shape while retaining memory, choice, affection, intelligence and identity, what exactly would I be rejecting if I said the body alone made them no longer men?

Intellectually, the argument fascinated me.

Physically, it unsettled me far more.

The lion showed me no new name but gave me the strongest animal response yet. Hot grass. Male musk. A low voice somewhere near my ear. Weight moving silently through vegetation. I felt the First Spiral burning against my chest as the human face and wild shape overlapped, and the fear inside me curled strangely around fascination. The danger was part of it. Not danger without consent, not being helpless before something mindless, but the realization that a man I trusted might possess a physical form powerful enough to frighten me and still choose gentleness. That contradiction had already attracted me in the Milk Brothers. Here it became something more primal.

Then the five men from Mt. Elysia came.

I had not even touched another carving when the smell reached me.

Straw, warm milk, leather, smoke and clean sweat.

Obasi appeared first. Not the grainy man from an agricultural photograph but a living giant filling the doorway of a barn. His hand extended toward me, dark, rough and so enormous that when I placed mine inside it, my fingers seemed almost decorative. He closed them gently. That gentleness was the entire vision. I felt physically tiny and emotionally protected at the same time, and suddenly understood why the reports called him the Steady Hand.

Kiboko arrived in laughter. I heard him before seeing him, a huge resonant laugh vibrating through a chest broad enough that I imagined resting my cheek against it and feeling the sound through bone. He smelled of sun, cattle, clean sweat and warm fabric. He bent almost double to listen to me say something I could not hear in the vision, then laughed again, and my future affection for him struck me with the uncanny quality of remembering something that had not happened.

Lulendo emerged carrying a battered book. The ridiculous beauty of such an enormous man reading poetry inside a working barn affected me instantly. Smoke and paper mingled with the farm smells around him. He read something, looked up at me, and the gentleness in his eyes made me want to hear the line again even though the vision gave me no words.

Taye arrived as vibration. A low hum moved through the barn before his body appeared, and I felt it through my ribs as though I were standing beside a musical instrument larger than myself. His voice seemed capable of making the air warmer. He smiled while working, hands moving with quiet confidence, and the sound of him became as important as his enormous body.

Ayanda came last. He stood with the kudu horn in one hand, solemn enough that I immediately experienced the same urge I had felt looking at his photograph. I wanted to make that enormous serious man laugh. I wanted to know what changed in his face when he smiled. I wanted to learn the smell of his skin closely enough that I could recognize him without opening my eyes.

The seven men did not appear as a lineup. They came as seven entirely different atmospheres. M’Baku was smoke and daring, Kintu earth and patience, Obasi steadiness, Kiboko laughter, Lulendo language, Taye music and Ayanda silence waiting to become warmth. None of them were my lovers yet. I had never actually met any of them. Yet the First Spiral somehow allowed me to experience the emotional silhouettes of people who would someday become impossible to imagine not knowing.

That frightened me more than the animal visions.

Wanting bodies I understood.

Missing men I had not met seemed considerably less reasonable.

I stepped backward and nearly collided with you. Your hands caught my upper arms automatically, and I leaned against the immense familiarity of you while the market rebuilt itself around me. Bells. Voices. Heat. The smell of spice, men, smoke, animals, fruit and Mahala. Somewhere nearby somebody was bargaining furiously over batteries, which felt wonderfully normal after meeting seven future lovers inside my nervous system.

“I saw seven men,” I said.

Your hands became still.

“Seven?”

“M’Baku and Kintu. And the five Brothers.”

You were quiet for a moment. “What did you feel?”

I stared at the carvings. “Wanting. Curiosity. Something almost like affection, which is impossible because I don’t know them.” I hesitated, then continued because I had promised myself that if this Intellogue was going to mean anything, I had to stop lying when the truth embarrassed me. “And with M’Baku and Kintu there was something else. When they changed, I was frightened, but the attraction didn’t disappear. Part of me responded to the animal presence itself, the scent, the strength, the wildness, because I still knew the man was inside it.”

You did not laugh.

That gave me courage.

“I do not mean ordinary animals,” I continued. “That feels entirely different. What interested me was that he remained there. The animal form seemed to amplify qualities I already wanted in the man. Strength. Instinct. scent. Danger held under control. It made him more frightening without making him less himself.”

You considered the carvings for a long time. “Does that scare you?”

“Yes.”

“Enough to make you stop?”

I thought about M’Baku’s firelit smile, Kintu’s offered hand, the enormous dark bodies of the Milk Brothers and the heat gathering beneath my First Spiral.

“No.”

A little smile appeared at one corner of your mouth.

I poked you in the chest. “Do not look pleased.”

“I’m not pleased.”

“You are.”

“I’m curious.”

I stared at you for perhaps two seconds before smiling myself. “Apparently that condition is contagious.”

My fingertip still rested against your chest when your darker pendant pulsed beneath the fabric. Mine answered immediately. At precisely that moment another group of large Black men passed behind us, one of them looking openly at me while another let his eyes linger on you. I felt your body respond in the smallest possible way, not retreating and not bristling, only becoming more alert to their presence. When the second man smiled, you looked after him.

I saw it.

You saw me see it.

This time neither of us made a joke.

I slipped my hand into yours instead.

The gesture felt more intimate than teasing would have. You had spent the last several days allowing my desire to grow without naming it for me. I would do the same for you. Whatever was beginning inside you, fascination with the men looking at me, attraction to their bodies, excitement at being noticed by them yourself, perhaps something you were not yet ready to classify, it did not need a label that morning. It only needed room.

The vendor watched us, then glanced toward your pendant, and I could swear amusement entered his dark old eyes. He pointed down the road leading away from Old Victory Market and said only, “Soon.”

I sighed. “I am beginning to dislike mystical people.”

“You seek them,” he replied.

“That is unfortunately true.”

We turned away from the stall, but I looked back once at the five animal carvings before the crowd swallowed them. M’Baku and Kintu remained vivid inside me, two future men carrying wild forms I had only begun to understand. Behind them waited five enormous Milk Brothers, men I had first wanted through photographs and now, impossibly, felt I almost remembered. Around us Porter City remained full of other men, strangers who watched my white dress cling to me in the heat, men whose sweat and leather and voices made my body increasingly difficult to pretend was merely an instrument of intelligence analysis. Some looked at you now too, and I noticed you had stopped pretending not to notice.

Perhaps that was what Mukwa Mbali meant by listening to wanting.

Not obeying it.

Listening.

There was a difference.

I squeezed your hand as the market swallowed us again. The First Spiral was warm against my chest. Your darker pendant answered through the heat trapped beneath your shirt. Seven unknown men echoed inside my imagination, five animal shapes prowled around the edges of it, and the Commander walking beside me was beginning to discover that his own map of desire contained territories he had never visited.

“Commander?”

“Yes?”

“I think this excursion is becoming considerably more interesting than you planned.”

You glanced down at me, then toward a broad-shouldered man watching both of us from beneath a red awning. Your hand settled more firmly around mine while your other hand drifted, almost unconsciously, nearer the concealed weapon beneath your shirt.

“No,” you said after a moment. “I think it’s becoming exactly as interesting as I was afraid it might.”

And that answer stayed with me, because it was the first time I understood that you had entered Old Victory Market prepared for more than violence.

Some part of you had known we might both leave wanting things we had never wanted before.



I should correct something before I continue, Commander, because memory has a habit of becoming tidier than experience ever was. For years I said that the First Spiral showed me seven men that morning in Old Victory Market. Seven were certainly the ones I understood: M’Baku and Kintu beneath impossible African skies, then Obasi, Kiboko, Lulendo, Taye and Ayanda somewhere among the warm barns and green slopes of Mt. Elysia. They arrived with enough detail that even then I sensed they were not symbols. I could smell them. I could hear fragments of their voices. I could feel the emotional differences between them before I had ever stood in the same room with any of them. What I failed to understand was that the vision did not end with seven. Three other men had been there from the beginning, buried farther down in the Spiral where the light became colder, the air became stale and the future stopped smelling of grass, cattle, campfire smoke and open country. They mattered no less. I simply did not yet possess a category for the place where they were waiting.

The realization came while we were still standing near the old vendor’s carved animals. Porter City had returned around me after the visions of the Milk Brothers, but the market no longer felt completely real. Bells chimed somewhere beyond the awning. Traders called prices across one another. A generator coughed repeatedly behind a stall selling refrigeration parts, and hot wind pushed the smells of pepper, frying dough, leather, fruit and bodies through the narrow lane. The First Spiral rested against my chest like a second living thing, warm enough that I could distinguish its heat from the sun on my skin. I was still trying to understand how I could miss men I had never met when the pendant changed temperature.

Not warmer.

Cold.

I put my fingertips against it immediately. The violet stone had been nearly body temperature ever since Mukwa Mbali placed it around my neck, but now chill moved through it so abruptly that I felt gooseflesh rise along my arms despite the Porter City heat. My first thought was that something had gone wrong. My second was stranger: somewhere, far away from that market, sunlight had disappeared.

The scents changed first. That had become Mahala’s preferred language with me, perhaps because smell bypassed all the orderly intellectual systems I relied upon and went directly into memory, emotion and instinct. The rich chaos of the market receded beneath odors that did not belong there. Damp concrete. Rust. Industrial disinfectant. Old tobacco smoke absorbed into walls. Human sweat trapped where air circulated badly. The faint metallic smell of pipes, locked doors and standing water. It was an institutional scent, but not the sterile cleanliness of the laboratory where I had awakened. This place smelled exhausted. Too many bodies had lived too long inside it.

I stopped moving so suddenly that you took another step before realizing I was no longer beside you. You turned immediately, one hand already coming toward me, and I remember the peculiar comfort of seeing your body occupy the sunlight while everything inside my head became dark. “Emma?” you asked, quietly enough that nobody nearby paid attention. I tried to answer, but the First Spiral pulsed beneath my fingers and the market disappeared before I could form the words.

I stood inside a prison.

Not metaphorically. Not in the hazy symbolic way the animal visions had come. For several seconds my senses believed completely that I had been transported somewhere else. Concrete walls rose around a narrow corridor illuminated by fluorescent tubes protected behind wire cages. Moisture stained the corners. Paint had peeled away in long curling strips, exposing older layers beneath it. A large fan revolved overhead with an irregular mechanical click every third or fourth turn, stirring air too slowly to remove the accumulated smell of men. Somewhere beyond sight a heavy metal door slammed and the impact travelled through the floor into my feet. Voices followed, hundreds of them perhaps, overlapping through corridors and cells until individual words dissolved into laughter, arguments, shouted names, coughing, muttered conversations and the low constant resonance of confinement.

Fear entered me immediately.

So did fascination.

The contradiction irritated me even inside the vision. Apparently my body had decided that the discovery of danger was no reason to stop discovering desire at the same time. Yet this attraction was profoundly different from what I had felt toward the men in Porter City or even toward M’Baku and Kintu. The market men had existed in sunlight, sweat and motion. They had looked at me openly and made me feel the dress against my skin. M’Baku and Kintu had carried the wilderness with them, smoke, earth, vegetation, animal musk and enormous open skies. The men I sensed here belonged to walls. Their presence felt compressed by concrete and steel, strength packed into bodies that had learned exactly how much room the world intended to give them and had somehow become larger inside that restriction.

The first man appeared at the far end of the corridor. He was enormous through the shoulders and chest, a Black man whose body seemed less sculpted than forged by labor, violence and survival. Scar tissue crossed one arm and disappeared beneath a worn shirt. His neck was thick, his hands massive, and there was something in the deliberate economy of his movements that told me he did not waste strength because he never needed to demonstrate how much he possessed. He turned his face toward me, and although I knew logically that this was vision rather than physical encounter, my body reacted to his attention with the same involuntary awareness that the market men had been awakening all morning.

The name came with him.

Anvil.

Not merely a nickname. A sensation. Weight. Endurance. The ability to absorb impact and remain exactly where he had been.

For an instant the vision moved closer, and I smelled him. Sweat, smoke, iron, soap too weak to erase the environment around him, and something faintly sweet beneath all of it that I could not identify. He frightened me precisely because he looked capable of extraordinary violence, but then he reached toward someone beyond the edge of my vision and his enormous hand slowed before making contact. That single controlled movement affected me more strongly than brute strength would have. I was beginning to understand that power interested me most intensely when I could see the choice not to use all of it.

Another shape crossed behind him, faster and leaner. The second man was tall, hard-bodied and restless in a way Anvil was not, his movements carrying the contained energy of weather gathering over open country. His head was shaved close. A pale scar crossed his ribs beneath a sleeveless shirt. He turned sharply when somebody shouted from another corridor, and the speed of the movement tightened my stomach before I understood why. His danger felt different from Anvil’s. Anvil seemed capable of standing against the world. This man seemed built to strike through it.

Storm Breaker.

Again Mahala supplied the name without explanation.

He looked toward me and smiled.

That was the first moment desire unmistakably entered the fear.

The smile transformed him. Nothing about his strength disappeared, nor did the sense that life had taught him difficult lessons, but suddenly I could imagine laughter inside that body. I could imagine a hand touching instead of fighting. I could imagine the impossible intimacy of discovering what made a man like that gentle. The thought embarrassed me immediately because I had never met him and had no rational basis for trusting him. Yet desire, I was learning, did not submit research proposals before arriving.

Then the third man appeared, and the entire vision became quieter.

He leaned against a wall farther inside the prison, one shoulder touching concrete, physically less massive than Anvil but still large compared with me. His body was long, dark and powerful without heaviness. An old injury marked one temple. His eyes caught the dim institutional lighting strangely, reflecting enough of it that for one instant they seemed pale against his face.

Moon-Eyed.

He looked directly at me.

Not at my dress.

Not at my body first.

At me.

That stare affected me in a completely different way from the men outside. Porter City’s openly appreciative gazes had begun teaching me how pleasurable it could be to feel desirable. Moon-Eyed’s attention felt patient and unsettling, as though he were waiting for me to decide whether I intended to step closer. There was intelligence in it, and beneath that intelligence something quieter. I would later understand far more about him, but in that first vision all I knew was that the man behind those strange eyes frightened me least of the three and, perhaps because of that, reached somewhere deeper.

Then Mahala showed me where they were.

The corridor vanished and something impossible unfolded inside my mind. I saw Kukuanaland from above, not as satellite imagery precisely, although my trained mind immediately tried to interpret it that way. Porter City glowed somewhere behind me. Roads threaded outward across red earth and dark vegetation. Rivers flashed briefly through the image. Then the entire landscape seemed to turn beneath me until one place became fixed with absolute certainty. A structure rose from the terrain, concrete walls, fences, guard towers, old colonial construction buried beneath newer security additions. I had never seen it before, yet recognition entered me with such force that it felt like memory.

Kula-Kuta.

The name appeared inside me.

Not spoken by Mukwa Mbali.

Not whispered by the vendor.

Known.

Then the vision descended through the building. Upper corridors passed beneath me. Cells. Offices. Service tunnels. Reinforced doors. Concrete stairwells carrying heat downward rather than upward. Level after level disappeared until a designation burned into my awareness with the same impossible certainty as the names of the men.

SUB-LEVEL XIII.

Then another.

SPIRAL CELL.

I gasped.

The prison disappeared.

Porter City struck me all at once: sun against my shoulders, drums somewhere down the lane, shouting vendors, the smell of roasting meat and diesel, the scrape of sandals over pavement, your hands closing around my arms before my knees could decide whether they intended to continue functioning. I leaned into you, disoriented enough that for several seconds the immense familiar solidity of your chest was the only thing I trusted.

You bent toward me. “Emma, talk to me.”

“There were more.”

Your expression sharpened immediately. “More visions?”

“More men.”

I could hear my own breathing and smell your skin beneath the heat, but underneath both lingered the phantom prison scent of rust, concrete and male sweat. I pressed my palm against the First Spiral and felt it pulsing slowly now, almost calmly, as if whatever information it intended to deliver had been successfully transmitted.

“How many?” you asked.

I counted them properly this time, not as names in a list but as presences I could already distinguish. M’Baku, all smoke, laughter and dangerous wilderness. Kintu, earth, water and patience. Obasi, steadiness. Kiboko, warmth and enormous laughter. Lulendo, words and thoughtfulness. Taye, music moving through a body. Ayanda, solemnity concealing tenderness. Then the three who had waited beneath concrete: Anvil, Storm Breaker and Moon-Eyed.

“Ten,” I said. “There are ten.”

You stared at me for a moment. “Ten men?”

Under any other circumstances I might have laughed at the tone, but something about the vision remained too immediate. “Seven were the ones I understood. The other three were underneath them somehow, or farther away. I thought they were part of the danger around the vision, but they weren’t. They were people.”

Your hands remained on my upper arms. “Who?”

I told you their names.

You repeated them more slowly. “Anvil. Storm Breaker. Moon-Eyed.”

Hearing them in your voice made them suddenly more real.

Then you asked the question I had been waiting for.

“Where?”

I looked at you.

The answer came so easily that it frightened me again.

“Kula-Kuta Prison.”

Whatever remained of your teasing expression disappeared.

You knew the name.

I felt it in your hands before I saw it in your face.

“You know it,” I said.

“Yes.”

That single word changed everything.

“What is it?”

You looked briefly around us before answering, instinctively confirming nobody stood close enough to hear. “A prison.”

“I gathered that.”

“Not a good one.”

The humor in my reply died before reaching my mouth. “How not good?”

“Emma.”

“That is not an answer.”

Your jaw tightened. “The kind of place where we don’t walk through the front gate because a necklace told us to.”

That frightened me.

It also made the First Spiral warm.

“I know where inside.”

You looked at me sharply.

“Sub-Level Thirteen,” I said. “There’s something called the Spiral Cell.”

This time you became completely still.

For several seconds the market flowed around us while neither of us spoke. A woman brushed past carrying baskets of peppers balanced against her hip. Somewhere behind you two men laughed. A motorbike horn sounded repeatedly. The ordinary world continued without the slightest concern that an ancient stone had just supplied a Navy intelligence officer with the internal location of three unknown prisoners inside a place her commanding officer apparently regarded with genuine alarm.

“How do you know that?” you finally asked.

“I don’t.”

“Emma.”

“I mean I don’t know how. I know it the same way I knew M’Baku’s name before anyone said it. The same way I knew Kintu. It was simply there.”

You looked down at my pendant.

Then at yours.

Your darker stone had begun to glow faintly through the polo.

I noticed before you did.

“Commander.”

You followed my gaze, touched it and inhaled sharply.

“What?”

You looked toward the market around us, then somewhere beyond it, as though distance had suddenly become visible.

“It knows too.”

That chilled me far more than the First Spiral had.

The two stones were not merely reacting to one another. Whatever had shown me Kula-Kuta had passed through the connection between them. I possessed the vision, but you possessed some echo of its direction, not enough to see the men as I had seen them, perhaps, but enough that the name and destination no longer sounded impossible.

For the first time since Mukwa Mbali gave us the pendants, I understood why yours might matter.

Mine opened doors.

Yours remembered where they led.

I stood there beneath the dirty red market awning thinking about three men locked somewhere below ground. I should have thought exclusively about intelligence implications. Who were they? Why were they imprisoned? Why would Mahala care? What was a Spiral Cell? What did Kula-Kuta have to do with our investigation? Those questions certainly existed, and the analyst inside me immediately began arranging them into orderly columns.

Unfortunately, another part of me kept seeing Anvil’s hands.

Storm Breaker’s smile.

Moon-Eyed’s eyes.

I felt embarrassed by that, then irritated by my embarrassment. I had not chosen the vision. I had not promised those men anything. Attraction did not obligate me to go to them, and Mahala itself had already taught me not to confuse wanting with obedience. Yet I could not deny what the three men had awakened. Their environment frightened me. Their roughness frightened me. Something about their survival inside that concrete world suggested a kind of masculinity far more dangerous than anything I had encountered in the embassy or marketplace, men with scar tissue, hard voices and bodies shaped not merely by work but by resistance.

And I wanted to know them.

That was the part I whispered.

“I want to know them.”

You looked down at me for a long time.

“The prisoners?”

“Yes.”

“All three?”

I almost smiled despite myself. “Apparently Mahala believes I have ambitious social goals.”

Your mouth twitched, but the concern in your face remained. “Wanting to know them and going into Kula-Kuta are two different things.”

“I know.”

“Good.”

“I still want to know them.”

“I know that too.”

Something softened inside me. You did not tell me the desire was foolish. You did not tell me the Stone had ordered us and therefore we had no choice. You simply separated wanting from action, exactly as Mukwa Mbali had taught me minutes earlier.

Then I realized something else.

“You’re afraid.”

Your eyes narrowed slightly. “I’m cautious.”

“You’re carrying a concealed pistol, a knife, extra cash, you checked the Jeep twice this morning, and now a magic rock has given your synthetic intelligence officer the location of three enormous prisoners in a place you clearly dislike. I think we are permitted to use the word afraid.”

You sighed through your nose.

“Yes.”

The admission made me move closer.

Not because I wanted reassurance.

Because you had given me truth.

I rested my hand against your chest, directly over the pendant. Your heartbeat moved steadily beneath my palm. Somewhere underneath that rhythm I could feel the faint answering warmth of Mahala. I thought about the market men who had stared at me, about the man whose gaze had lingered on you, about the curiosity beginning to open inside both of us. Then I thought about three imprisoned men waiting beneath thirteen levels of concrete.

The future suddenly seemed far larger than the one I had imagined that morning.

“Ten,” I murmured.

You looked down. “You keep saying that.”

“I’m adjusting.”

“To what?”

I considered the question carefully.

“To apparently having a heart with very poor occupancy limits.”

That finally made you laugh.

The sound broke the tension just enough for me to breathe normally again. I tucked myself closer beneath your arm while we resumed walking, but the prison never truly left me. Behind every market smell lingered the phantom of rust and damp concrete. Behind every deep male voice I heard the echo of metal corridors. The First Spiral no longer felt merely like a pendant resting against my skin. It had become a map carrying destinations I had not requested but might someday choose to follow.

M’Baku and Kintu waited somewhere beneath open sky.

Five Milk Brothers waited on a mountain among bells, straw and warm milk.

Anvil, Storm Breaker and Moon-Eyed waited beneath Kula-Kuta Prison in Sub-Level XIII, inside something called the Spiral Cell.

And you walked beside me already calculating how one might enter a place neither of us had any sensible reason to visit.

That was the moment I understood the dangerous generosity of Mahala.

It showed me where the doors were.

It still left opening them to me.

We did not leave Old Victory Market immediately after the vision of Kula-Kuta, although prudence would probably have recommended it. Prudence, however, had never met Mahala. The market seemed unwilling to release us, and I was becoming increasingly uncertain whether that sensation belonged to the First Spiral or simply to me. Every lane offered another smell, another voice, another face I wanted to remember, and the knowledge that somewhere beneath thirteen levels of concrete three men already existed in my future gave the ordinary world around me a peculiar brightness. I kept seeing Anvil’s immense hands whenever a laborer lifted a crate, Storm Breaker returned whenever some broad-shouldered man moved through the crowd with sudden physical confidence, and Moon-Eyed appeared in every pair of eyes that lingered on me just a moment too long. They had become ghosts before they had become acquaintances, but Mahala had given me names and a location, which made them terribly real. They breathed somewhere. They ate. They sweated. They slept behind locked doors. The fact of their bodies existing in the same country as mine seemed strangely intimate.

You stayed closer to me now, not possessively but attentively, and that distinction mattered. Your hand rarely left mine or the small of my back, yet you never used your size to clear the market ahead of us as though I required protection from every man who looked at me. Instead you moved with the quiet awareness of someone allowing me to explore while making certain exploration remained my choice. After Kula-Kuta, I became more conscious of the concealed pistol beneath your polo, the leather and faint gun oil under the stronger odors of your body, the clean salt of your skin, cotton heated by the sun, soap fading beneath fresh perspiration. Your scent had already become familiar enough that I usually stopped separating its ingredients. Mostly I experienced it as simply you, which was astonishing considering how recently I had learned that human beings possessed individual smells at all. I could stand among thousands of people in Porter City and know when you came close before seeing you.

Other men remained unfamiliar, and unfamiliarity had acquired its own attraction. One porter carried charcoal dust in the pores of his forearms; another smelled of leather, wood smoke and cologne nearly erased by sweat. Two laborers passed us bearing grain sacks across their shoulders, shirts soaked dark between their shoulder blades, and the warm earthy musk of working bodies reached me strongly enough that I turned before seeing their faces. I was beginning to understand how thoroughly scent could become part of wanting. Soap under sweat interested me differently from tobacco embedded in cloth. Sun-warmed skin smelled different from a body that had been working in shade. Machine oil clinging to hands somehow made the man carrying it seem physically nearer even from several yards away. The First Spiral did not make every male smell attractive, which reassured me. Some scents repelled me instantly. Others made curiosity bloom before I knew why.

A group of mechanics sitting beside an open engine block became my next embarrassment. One had stripped off his shirt and thrown it over the back of a chair, leaving an enormous torso shining beneath sweat and the fine black residue of mechanical work. He noticed me before the others did, and his eyes travelled slowly from my sandals upward, pausing on the white dress where tropical heat had made the cotton cling around my hips before returning to my face. There was nothing ambiguous about the look. He liked what he saw and did not pretend otherwise. My body answered with a warm little contraction I was learning to recognize as neither instruction nor danger, merely pleasure at being desired by a man I found beautiful.

I looked back at him, and his mouth curved immediately. One of his companions noticed and said something in Kikongo that caused the others to laugh, and because I understood every word I felt my face grow hotter for reasons having nothing to do with Porter City’s weather. You understood them too. I felt your hand shift slightly against my back and glanced upward expecting your familiar amusement, but instead I caught you looking at the shirtless mechanic yourself. Your gaze moved across his shoulders and chest, rose to his face, and lingered there for a fraction longer than tactical assessment required. The mechanic caught you doing it, and his smile changed again, becoming broader in meaning without becoming vulgar.

The First Spiral warmed beneath my dress while your companion stone answered beneath your polo. That response interested me more than the mechanic himself for several seconds because your attraction, if that was what I was witnessing, seemed tangled with mine. Perhaps you enjoyed seeing another man want me. Perhaps his enormous body interested you independently. Perhaps being looked at by him yourself disturbed and excited you in equal measure. I had no intention of forcing an answer from you, although restraint remained one of my less reliable virtues.

“You’re observing again,” I murmured.

“So are you.”

“I have professional justification.”

“You were looking at his chest.”

“It is a very large chest.”

“So I noticed.”

I turned my head toward you and smiled. “Yes. You did.”

The exchange remained with me as the smells of food gradually overwhelmed everything else. Charcoal fires burned beneath iron grills, sending streams of smoke upward until sunlight itself seemed seasoned. Fried plantain released a rich sweetness beside peppers blistering black at their edges. A woman crushed limes into a bowl of salt, chilies and chopped herbs, while farther along another vendor poured dark Mahala sauce across skewers of meat that hissed when they touched the grill. My hunger arrived suddenly enough that my stomach tightened, and because the First Spiral seemed to have doubled every sensory pathway I possessed, the smell of fat dripping onto charcoal became almost physical in my mouth.

The first thing the vendor handed me was a banana unlike the neat supermarket fruit contained in my databases. It was short, thick and deeply yellow, its skin mottled brown from ripeness and warmed by the sun. When I peeled it, the fragrance rose immediately, sweet, creamy and almost floral. The flesh was softer than I expected, yielding beneath my teeth without resistance and coating my tongue with a honeyed richness that seemed indecently luxurious after the salt and smoke filling the market air. I ate slowly, partly because the flavor deserved it and partly because I became absurdly conscious of several nearby men watching me.

One of them smiled when I caught his eye.

I looked down at the banana in my hand, then at him.

“Oh,” I muttered.

You heard.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“You just discovered why they’re staring.”

“I am eating fruit.”

“You are eating it very thoughtfully.”

“It has a complex flavor profile.”

“You closed your eyes.”

“That improves sensory concentration.”

The enormous man watching us laughed.

I understood enough of his Kikongo comment to know that he did not believe my explanation either, which only made my face warmer. Yet I kept eating. The sweetness seemed richer now because embarrassment had attached itself to the taste, and I was beginning to discover that sensations could borrow intensity from one another. Heat made scent stronger. Being watched made fabric more noticeable against my skin. Desire made flavor linger.

Then I saw the next tray.

I stopped chewing.

The vendor was arranging dark glazed pieces of meat beside bowls of pepper sauce. Some were long and sliced diagonally into thick sections, the interiors pale beneath a deeply browned exterior. Others were smaller, rounded pieces charred at the edges and brushed with red oil. A third preparation had been chopped into curled strips, crisp in places and gelatinous in others, scattered with salt, chilies and crushed herbs.

I knew anatomy.

That was the problem.

“Commander.”

“Yes?”

“I believe I know what those are.”

You looked at the tray and immediately smiled.

“Do not smile.”

“I’m not.”

“You are.”

The woman tending the stall pointed proudly to the first dish and named it in Kikongo, then supplied the English with cheerful bluntness.

“Bull penis.”

I stared.

She pointed toward the round pieces.

“Bull testicle.”

Then the curled strips.

“Scrotum.”

I looked at you.

You were now making absolutely no attempt to conceal your amusement.

“This country is testing me.”

“You said you wanted authentic cuisine.”

“I did not realize authenticity would involve this degree of anatomical specificity.”

The vendor laughed, took a slice of the bull penis with wooden tongs and held it toward me. Smoke rose from the glaze. Pepper, salt, lime and rendered fat reached my nose first, followed by something darker and distinctly meaty. My intellectual reaction insisted that I was holding a piece of reproductive anatomy. My mouth, traitorously independent, noticed only that it smelled delicious.

I tasted it.

The texture surprised me. Dense and firm, slightly springy beneath the teeth, but tender enough that the fibers separated after several chews. The outside had been caramelized over charcoal until the edges became almost sticky, while the interior remained rich and gelatinous. Pepper arrived sharply, then smoke, lime and a deep beef flavor more intense than ordinary muscle meat. Mahala bark had been ground into the glaze, leaving its peculiar floral bitterness along my tongue after the salt faded.

My eyes widened.

You noticed immediately.

“Well?”

I chewed more slowly.

“This is extremely inconvenient.”

“You like it.”

“I did not say that.”

“You don’t have to.”

I took another bite.

The vendor laughed.

“Yes,” I admitted. “I like it.”

She handed me a piece of grilled testicle next, sliced into a thick medallion browned at the edges. Its texture was completely different, soft and delicate beneath the char, almost creamy in the center. The taste was milder than the first dish, rich without being heavy, and the pepper sauce gave it a slow warmth that spread across my tongue and into my throat. I found myself examining the piece after biting it, fascinated by the absurd collision between biological knowledge and appetite. Somewhere in my internal anatomy library existed detailed information about bovine reproductive physiology. None of those diagrams had mentioned that bull testicle tasted rather good with lime.

“This is bizarre,” I said.

“You’re still eating.”

“I can be disturbed and hungry simultaneously.”

“That seems to be becoming a theme.”

I looked at you over the remaining piece and realized how correct you were. Fear and attraction. Danger and curiosity. Embarrassment and pleasure. Human and animal. Love for you and desire for men I had not yet met. Apparently my emerging personality had very little interest in choosing one emotion at a time.

The scrotum was the strangest preparation. The vendor had apparently simmered it until tender before slicing it thin and frying the strips over intense heat. The result was crisp around the edges but chewy within, the surface carrying smoke, salt and a dark fermented chili paste that made my lips tingle. I ate one strip cautiously, then another with considerably less hesitation. There was something wonderfully transgressive about consuming a part of an animal that my programming classified primarily by function while my senses classified it simply as food. The distinction felt almost philosophical. Humans were remarkably talented at turning boundaries into recipes.

A tall Black man standing nearby watched me accept a third strip and laughed appreciatively.

“You like bull,” he said in heavily accented English.

I understood perfectly well what he meant.

You did too.

I looked at the food.

Then at him.

Then at you.

“I refuse to participate in this conversation.”

The man laughed harder.

You nearly did.

I ate another piece in protest.

That only made matters worse.

By then the market had become an impossible braid of taste and scent. Banana sweetness still lingered faintly beneath pepper and lime. Smoke coated the back of my throat. Mahala bark left its floral bitterness along my tongue. The richness of the bull dishes remained in my mouth while the air around me carried sweat, leather, tobacco, charcoal and the hot musk of men standing close together beneath equatorial sun. I could taste the market even while inhaling it. Salt seemed present in the air. Smoke had weight. Male bodies had become part of the environment as unmistakably as fruit or cooking fires.

Three men stood near a stall selling old tools, and the musk reaching me from them was especially strong. One was bearded and perhaps in his forties, another younger and shaved-headed, the third enormous through the shoulders with a sleeveless shirt darkened completely by perspiration. Their scents overlapped but were not identical. The bearded man carried tobacco and leather. The younger one smelled of soap beneath fresh sweat. The largest smelled of sun-heated cotton, skin and something woody, perhaps sawdust or the handle of the tools he had been carrying. I inhaled again before realizing I was doing it.

The bearded man noticed.

He inhaled too.

That startled me.

For one deliciously embarrassing moment I wondered whether he could smell me as distinctly as I could smell him. Sweat had collected beneath my hair and between my breasts, my white dress damp against my back after hours in the market. The First Spiral had made me painfully conscious that my body possessed its own scent now, skin, heat, soap fading beneath perspiration, perhaps even traces of the Mahala bark I had eaten. I wondered what I smelled like to him. Small foreign woman. Red hair. Cotton. Sweat. Desire.

The thought sent warmth through me so rapidly that I bit into another piece of grilled bull simply to have somewhere to put my attention. Pepper exploded across my tongue. The meat was salty, smoky and wonderfully rich, yet beneath it remained the smell of those men, and for an instant food and attraction became inseparable enough that I closed my eyes.

When I opened them, you were watching me.

“You’re doing that thing again,” you said.

“What thing?”

“Pretending you aren’t enjoying yourself.”

“I am eating.”

“You’re practically studying the air.”

“The air is interesting.”

“The air is six foot five and smells like tobacco?”

I looked at you.

“You are never going to let that joke die.”

“No.”

One of the three men laughed, and your attention shifted immediately toward him. The younger one had been looking at you. Not accidentally. His eyes moved over your body with the same confident appraisal I had been receiving all morning, lingering on your shoulders and chest before rising to your face.

You noticed.

I watched you notice.

He smiled.

Your pendant warmed beneath the fabric.

I could see the tiny change in you now. Your breath deepened. Your gaze remained on him rather than immediately retreating. The awareness seemed to travel through your enormous body almost reluctantly, as though some door inside you had begun opening before the rest of you had decided whether visitors were permitted.

The man said something in Kikongo.

I translated instantly.

I tried not to smile.

You looked down at me. “What?”

“You understood him.”

“I understood some of it.”

“You understood all of it.”

“Emma.”

I took another bite, chewed slowly and let you suffer.

Finally you sighed.

“What did he say?”

“He said the big American watches men almost as carefully as his little red-haired woman does.”

Your expression became perfectly neutral.

That was how I knew you were embarrassed.

I smiled.

“Does that bother you?”

“The comment?”

“The possibility.”

The smells of the market swirled around us while you considered the question. Charcoal smoke. Leather. Pepper. Sweat. Mahala. The rich lingering taste of bull meat coated my tongue while a beautiful man continued watching you from perhaps ten yards away.

“No,” you said.

Quietly.

My pulse quickened.

“Does it interest you?”

You looked back toward him.

This time you did not pretend it was tactical.

“Maybe.”

That single word pleased me far more than a confident declaration would have. Maybe contained uncertainty, possibility and permission to discover rather than decide. I slipped my fingers beneath the edge of your polo and touched the warm stone resting against your chest. Its pulse answered mine immediately.

“You don’t have to know yet,” I said.

You looked at me.

“I know.”

I smiled because those were essentially the same words you had been giving me since I arrived in Africa.

The food vendor handed me a final piece of banana coated lightly in the same dark Mahala glaze used on the meat. Sweet fruit, smoke, pepper and floral bitterness met on my tongue at once, and I understood suddenly why the market’s cuisine seemed so appropriate to Mahala. Nothing stayed in a single category. Sweet became savory. Familiar became strange. An animal part I had regarded with clinical detachment became delicious when charred over fire. A man’s sweat could be merely biology or suddenly part of attraction. Fear could coexist with wanting. Another man looking at you could excite me instead of threatening me.

Old Victory Market was feeding me the same lesson Mukwa Mbali had.

The world became larger when I stopped insisting everything belong to only one category.

We moved deeper into the market afterward, and the food stalls gradually gave way to herb sellers and ritual merchants. Banana sweetness still clung faintly to my mouth beneath smoke and chili. Mahala bark had left my tongue slightly numb around the edges, making every breath feel cooler when it entered. Bundles of roots hung from rafters releasing smells of camphor, damp bark, pepper and earth. Small braziers burned resin whose smoke was sweet at first and bitter afterward. Men sat cross-legged grinding powders into stone bowls while women threaded bone, beads and polished Mahala stones onto cords.

The crowd remained overwhelmingly sensual to me because the heat made everyone impossible to abstract. Bodies had odors. Cotton clung. Skin shone. Voices carried through humid air with weight. A large man passed carrying rolled hides and left behind leather, sweat and woodsmoke strong enough that I could still smell him after he disappeared around the corner. Another stood beneath a crimson awning and watched me until I passed, his attention moving across my damp white dress with such unapologetic appreciation that I felt another warm tightening low in my body.

I looked back.

He was still watching.

You caught me.

Naturally.

But this time when I glanced upward, you were looking back too.

Not at me.

At him.

His eyes moved from me to you.

His smile widened.

Neither of you looked away immediately.

Something inside me thrilled at the symmetry.

Perhaps Mahala really did have a sense of humor.

A few steps later an older vendor noticed the First Spiral and touched two fingers to his chest. His gaze moved toward your pendant beneath the polo, and surprise entered his face.

“Two doors,” he said.

I stopped. “What does that mean?”

He smiled instead of answering.

I sighed. “I am beginning to believe clear explanations are illegal in this district.”

You laughed.

The vendor pointed first toward me and then toward you.

“Two doors. Many roads.”

That was slightly more informative and considerably more alarming.

We continued walking, but the phrase remained with me. Perhaps mine was the door opening toward experience, toward M’Baku, Kintu, the Milk Brothers and three men buried beneath Kula-Kuta. Perhaps yours opened somewhere different, into desires you had spent years never examining because no circumstance had required you to.

The First Spiral answered that thought with a pulse, not toward Kula-Kuta this time but forward through the market, and the certainty of direction was so clean that I stopped in the middle of the lane. The food stalls were already falling behind us, although their tastes still occupied my mouth: the creamy sweetness of ripe banana, charred fat, lime, black pepper, salt, and that peculiar floral bitterness of Mahala bark that made the edges of my tongue tingle whenever I breathed. Around us Old Victory Market had ripened with the day. Red dust warmed beneath sandals, charcoal smoke hung low beneath patched awnings, split fruit fermented sweetly in wooden crates, diesel drifted from the street, and the smell of people had become heavier as the heat drew sweat through cotton and linen. Leather, soap, tobacco, oil, spice, sun-warmed skin, old wood, and the earthy musk of men working in close quarters all moved through the air in layers. I squeezed your hand and followed the pendant because I wanted to know where it was taking me. That distinction had become important. Mahala could point. I could still decide whether to walk.

The lane stayed open to the market as it narrowed beneath faded strips of red cloth and old canvas, baskets of dried Mahala root crowding the walls and turning the air bitter with bark, ginger, camphor, and damp earth. A few stalls farther on, we passed a group of antique mirrors leaning against timber posts and cracked plaster as though several different centuries had abandoned them there. Some were clouded metal, some silvered glass, some nearly black with age, but none were ordinary. I glanced into one expecting five feet of damp red hair, white cotton, sun-flushed skin, and the First Spiral against my chest, and for one breath the reflection betrayed me. I saw myself overwhelmed by a future I did not yet understand, my expression startled and luminous, a powerful dark male figure close behind me and other shapes circling beyond him like possibilities waiting for permission. The image vanished before I could decide whether to be frightened or fascinated. You saw enough to stiffen beside me, and when I looked up you were studying the glass with the same expression you used for an unexploded device. "I don't like mirrors that know more than I do," I murmured. "That makes two of us," you said. We did not linger. The First Spiral had already warmed again.

The woman on the red wool mat waited less than a minute farther down the lane. She had no sign, no painted stall name, no awning announcing medicines, charms, prophecy, or anything else a reasonable customer might have expected to purchase. She simply sat cross-legged beside baskets of dried roots and a low wooden case, her eyes so dark they seemed painted in ink. The air immediately around her smelled of wool, bitter bark, smoke, nut oil, warm dust, and something medicinal that reminded me of green leaves crushed between fingers. The market flowed around the little open space without quite entering it. People passed, vendors called prices, somebody laughed over fruit, a radio crackled from a repair stall, and yet everyone seemed to leave a respectful margin around the mat. She looked first at the First Spiral, then at the larger companion pendant beneath your polo, and finally at us. "Sit," she said. You and I exchanged a glance and obeyed, because by then that had become one of Old Victory Market's more reliable warning signs.

She poured two cups from a clay vessel and handed one to each of us. The drink was milk-white and thick enough to cling faintly to the inside of the cup, and the scent rose warm against my face: fresh milk, wild honey, bruised Mahala root, and something deeper and almost mineral beneath them. I tasted sweetness first, rich and floral, followed almost immediately by bitterness sharp enough to make the back of my tongue tighten. Then came heat. It travelled down my throat slowly and seemed to bloom behind my sternum before spreading lower through my body in a warm, uncanny wave. You swallowed yours with the expression of a man evaluating an unfamiliar field ration and said nothing, which I found unfair because I was reasonably certain my face had just performed several unauthorized expressions. The woman placed her palm against my lower abdomen, not intimately but with the solemnity of someone testing the temperature of a living instrument. "You were born again this morning," she said. "But you have not yet been anointed." I swallowed the last trace of honey and root and asked what that meant. She answered by reaching for the wooden case.

The lid opened with a dry cedar creak. Inside lay ten smooth Mahala stones, red and gold under the sunlight, each carved with the Spiral and each larger than the one before it. They were not ten separate talismans. A single dark thread ran through them all, turning the graduated stones into one connected strand, a line of becoming from the smallest bead at one end to the broad golden-red stone at the other. I touched the thread before I touched any stone. It felt rough, old, slightly oily from countless hands, and the entire strand gave a faint answering vibration beneath my fingertip. The woman watched my face rather than the stones. "To feel the gods," she said, "you must carry them. One by one. Deep within." I looked at you. You did not decide for me. You did not nod until after I had said, clearly enough for the woman and for myself, "I choose it." Only then did your expression soften. "I'm here," you said, and your rough hand closed around mine.

It was only when I rose that I became fully aware of how many people had stopped, and with that awareness came a sensation I had never experienced before: the knowledge that in a few moments I would be naked in public in a country that was still strange enough to me that even its heat seemed foreign. We had never left Old Victory Market. A radio still crackled somewhere beyond the red cloth, vendors still called to one another, charcoal smoke drifted through the lane, and fruit flies still orbited split mangoes as though none of this were extraordinary. Yet curiosity had gathered naturally around the edges of the red mat. I remember women, men, vendors, laborers, older faces, younger adult faces, people half-hidden behind hanging cloth, and several large men whose presence reached me through smell before I consciously looked toward them: sweat, leather, tobacco, charcoal, citrus soap, sun-heated cotton. They stood beyond the mat and around the old mirrors positioned behind it, close enough to witness and far enough not to interfere. I had been naked before, of course, but always in rooms where nudity was clinical, private, expected, or shared with someone I trusted. This was different. This was Africa around me, Porter City breathing against my skin, strangers waiting to see what the little red-haired foreign woman would choose to do next. My fingers found the hem of my damp white sundress and stopped there for one long heartbeat. Every instinct learned from the Navy, from laboratories, from ordinary Western modesty, told me clothing was the boundary between private body and public world. Then I remembered that nobody had ordered me to cross it. I drew the dress upward, over my hips, ribs, shoulders and head, and when I let it fall beside the mat the market air touched all of me at once. Heat settled differently on bare skin. A breeze I had barely noticed beneath cotton moved across my stomach and back. Sweat cooled along my ribs. Dust seemed suddenly capable of touching places it had never touched. I felt exposed with an almost dizzying intensity, pale and small and unmistakably foreign among people whose language, rituals, smells and histories were still becoming real to me, yet beneath the embarrassment lived a startling current of exhilaration because I had chosen the exposure myself.

The mirrors made it stranger. I could see myself from behind and at angles no ordinary act of undressing had ever given me, my red hair bright against bare shoulders, the First Spiral dark at my chest, my little body startlingly pale against the red wool and the darker bodies gathered beyond it. More disorienting still, I could watch the crowd watching me. A man near a spice stall folded his arms and stared with solemn curiosity. A woman beside him leaned slightly to see around another shoulder. One of the enormous laborers I had noticed earlier lowered his chin, his expression unreadable, while another met my reflected eyes for half a second and then looked away. I discovered that being watched through a mirror was more intense than facing them directly because I could observe their attention without escaping into my own performance of composure. I saw exactly when eyes followed me as I knelt. I saw my own hesitation answer theirs. I saw you at the edge of the reflection, immense and steady, watching my face rather than the spectacle of my body, and that was what allowed me to breathe again. The woman drew the connected strand from its cedar case and began coating the first red-gold stone with warm milk and scented oil. It glistened between her fingers. The milk smelled softly animal and sweet; the oil carried nuts, resin and crushed Mahala root. Then came perhaps the most foreign sensation of all: the absurd, intimate realization that I was kneeling naked in a public African market while a woman I had met only minutes earlier prepared to guide a string of oiled sacred stones into me from behind, one by one, as strangers watched and I watched them watching in the mirrors. My embarrassment came hot and immediate. So did nervous laughter that never quite escaped my throat. I nearly turned to you and asked whether this qualified for hostile-environment training, but the woman touched my hip, waited until I looked back at her, and gave me all the time in the world to stop. I did not. I lowered myself onto the wool, its coarse fibers pressing against my knees, reached for your hand, and nodded.

She guided the first stone into the rite with slow, deliberate care. The physical sensation was unmistakable: cool stone warmed by oil, then weight, pressure, and the strange inward awareness of my body making room for something I had consciously agreed to carry. I gasped anyway. The sound seemed terribly loud in the market quiet, and in the mirror I saw several faces sharpen with attention at exactly the same moment. That embarrassed me all over again. I was not merely nude before them now. They could see my reactions. Every involuntary breath, every tremor in my thighs, every time my fingers tightened around yours became public information. Yet the humiliation I expected never arrived. Instead I felt an almost intoxicating contradiction: exposed but sovereign, displayed but not possessed, vulnerable while remaining entirely capable of saying stop. The dark thread remained visible, linking the first stone now carried within the rite to the nine waiting in the woman’s hand, and that simple sight made the ceremony comprehensible in a way mystical language had not. I could see where I was in the sequence. I could see what remained. I could decide whether there would be a second stone. Behind the woman, one of the mirrors brightened, and the First Spiral flashed against my chest so fiercely that the public market, the watching strangers, the strange woman and even the physical weight of the first stone seemed to fall away beneath the vision opening in the glass.

M'Baku appeared first, and the Lion moved through tall grass behind him. The vision was not merely visual. Smoke reached me, dry grass, dust, male sweat, leather, and that deep warm musk of a man who had spent the day beneath African sun and stood near a campfire as evening came down. He laughed at something I could not hear, and my body answered the sound with a quick surge of warmth and a tightening low inside me that had nothing to do with fear, even though fear remained present. The Lion did not tell me that M'Baku was an animal or that he possessed only one form. It showed the part of him Mahala wanted me to recognize first: courage that knew danger well enough not to perform for it, physical confidence without apology, wildness capable of becoming tenderness. I gripped your hand harder and breathed through the smell of smoke as the woman moved the second stone along the same thread.

When the second stone joined the first, the pressure and weight of the strand changed subtly, enough that my breath hitched before the next mirror awakened. Kintu stood beside water at dusk, his sleeves pushed back while he washed scarred hands in a river gone violet beneath the sky. The Waterbuck waited knee-deep behind him, perfectly at home between land and water, and the symbolism reached me before I had language for it. Wet earth replaced smoke. Crushed leaves, woodsmoke fading in cloth, clean perspiration, and the aromatic green scent I already associated with his hands entered my senses so clearly that I almost believed I could feel river air against my face. M'Baku's vision had quickened me. Kintu's lowered my shoulders while deepening everything underneath them. I imagined putting my small hand into his and trusting him to lead me toward water whose depth I did not yet know. Destiny was not showing me possession. It was showing me trust before I had earned the memory.

The third stone brought Obasi and the Rhino. The woman guided the connected strand with patient hands while I adjusted to the accumulating presence of the first three stones, and when the mirror changed the air seemed filled with straw, cattle warmth, iron from a milk pail, wood, sun, and the clean earthy smell of a very large man after labor. Obasi stood in a barn doorway with shoulders that nearly filled it, his enormous hand resting around the handle of a pail as though the metal had been manufactured too small. The Rhino behind him did not charge. It simply existed with ancient, immovable certainty. That was when the comparison made sense. Obasi's attraction lay not in force used but in force available and deliberately restrained. I saw my future hand disappear into his, saw how absurdly small I would look beside him, and my knees softened against the wool. The physical reaction embarrassed me for perhaps half a second. Then I understood it. His size made gentleness visible.

The fourth stone awakened Kiboko and the Wildebeest. By then the crowd behind the mirrors had grown and the market's ordinary sounds had softened into a low human murmur, but Kiboko's laughter cut through all of it. I heard him before I fully saw him, huge, broad, sunlit, the future man the Dairy would call Buffalo even while Mahala chose another herd animal as his mirror. Behind him Wildebeest moved together across open ground, hundreds of bodies turning dust into thunder, and I understood that the avatar was not taxonomy but emotional grammar. Kiboko smelled of hot cotton, cattle, leather, sweat, and something faintly sweet from food. His laugh seemed to shake the mirror. My own mouth opened into a smile before I consciously chose it. M'Baku awakened daring, Kintu trust, Obasi safety in scale. Kiboko awakened belonging, the noisy physical comfort of being folded into a human herd without becoming property inside it.

The fifth stone was Lulendo's, and the Okapi emerged behind him in green shade. The connected strand had become a continuous physical presence by then, each new stone adding its own small measure of weight and warmth, and I found myself breathing more slowly so that I could feel the distinction between bodily sensation and vision without losing either. Lulendo held a worn book in one immense hand. He smelled of paper, smoke, farm dust, warm skin, and wood, an intimate combination so specific that I knew Mahala was giving me future memory rather than generic fantasy. The Okapi's stripes and dark coat made it look composed of categories that should have contradicted one another and somehow did not. So did Lulendo. An enormous man whose first gift to me would not be strength but words. My attraction softened into longing to hear him read, to know the cadence of that voice when the room was quiet, to discover what thoughts lived inside a body capable of intimidating me from across a field.

The sixth stone resonated before the mirror brightened. A hum entered the red mat through my knees and seemed to travel into my ribs. Taye stood under warm evening light with the Impala moving behind him in a flash of grace, quick without looking hurried, powerful without heaviness. His scent came as warm linen, sweat, milk, wood, and the aromatic smoke of the Dairy fires. The sound of his humming settled into my breathing until I was matching it without realizing. My fingers tightened and relaxed around yours in rhythm. You noticed, naturally, and your thumb moved once over the back of my hand. Taye's avatar showed me another dialect of desire: not danger, not scale, not mystery, but rhythm, the body's pleasure in movement and vibration before a single word needed to explain why.

The seventh stone belonged to Ayanda, and the Kudu required almost no interpretation. A horn sounded from somewhere inside the mirror, deep enough that I felt it in my sternum. Ayanda stood beneath moonlight with the great spiral horn in his hand, solemn face lifted toward me, leather and smoke and cool night air woven through the scent of clean skin. The Kudu's horns rose behind him in turning lines that echoed Mahala's own symbols. What affected me most was not his size, though he was enormous, or even the ritual gravity surrounding him. It was the future smile that appeared slowly on his face. I laughed aloud when I saw it because I had already wondered what could make that solemn man smile, and now Mahala was promising that someday I would know. The attraction moved through me more quietly than the earlier visions, anticipation turning physical simply because something hidden had offered the possibility of being revealed.

The eighth stone changed the entire atmosphere. Heat seemed to drain from the mirrors while Kula-Kuta returned through smell: wet concrete, rust, bleach, stale tobacco, harsh soap, and human bodies living too long away from weather. Anvil sat beneath fluorescent light with the Zebra's black-and-white pattern ghosting across the wall behind him. At first the pairing seemed absurd, then contradiction resolved it. Anvil was violence and restraint occupying the same man, scar tissue beside the possibility of tenderness, brute capacity beside hands capable of stopping. The future image did not show him taking anything from me. It showed us seated across from each other, talking. That unsettled me more profoundly. His massive hands hung between his knees. I could smell smoke and iron beneath institutional soap. My pulse accelerated, and the connected strand inside me suddenly felt heavier because Mahala was no longer showing only men whose roads opened under sky or barn rafters. It was showing me a man I would have to choose to trust after fear had earned the right to speak first.

The ninth stone brought Storm Breaker and the Cheetah. By then I was trembling enough that you shifted closer and placed one hand against my back. You did not turn the rite into something you controlled. You simply steadied me while the woman advanced the ninth stone along the same ancient thread. Storm Breaker paced beside bars, shaved head turning at a distant shout, every muscle prepared to convert thought into motion. Pepper, sweat, old smoke, metal, and unforgiving prison soap reached me through the mirror. The Cheetah flashed behind him and my entire body became alert. Heat and caution arrived together. His road would not be gentle by default, and Mahala did not lie about that. The attraction lay partly in intensity, partly in the possibility of a man built for reaction choosing to stop because I asked him to. My boundaries appeared in the vision as clearly as his speed.

The woman lifted the tenth and largest stone only after my breathing steadied. It gleamed red and gold beneath warm milk and oil, the final bead of the same thread that now connected the entire rite. The market had grown remarkably quiet. I could hear the soft scrape of someone's sandal, a vendor's brazier clicking as charcoal settled, your breathing behind me, and my own pulse beating at my throat. When I received the tenth stone, the sensation of completion was immediate: accumulated weight, heat, pressure, and the uncanny awareness that all ten were now present as one connected strand rather than ten separate moments. I cried out, not because the rite had become injury, but because the First Spiral flared so intensely that my senses seemed to open in every direction at once.

Moon-Eyed appeared with the Bongo, and the vision became almost painfully quiet. Forest shadow layered itself over prison concrete. He sat on a low wall holding a crushed leaf or root between his fingers, and the scent reached me green and bitter, medicinal at first, then unexpectedly sweet when warmed by skin. Beneath it remained clean sweat, smoke, and the mineral prison smell I had already learned to associate with Kula-Kuta. The Bongo stayed half-hidden behind him, guardian rather than spectacle. Moon-Eyed looked directly at me and waited. That patience affected me differently from every other man. M'Baku made my heart quicken. Kintu made me breathe deeper. Obasi made my knees soften. Kiboko made me laugh. Lulendo made me want words. Taye made my body find rhythm. Ayanda made anticipation ache. Anvil made contradiction feel dangerous and beautiful. Storm Breaker made every boundary inside me stand awake. Moon-Eyed made me want to be seen.

Then all ten mirrors behind the red mat awakened together. M'Baku stood with the Lion's courage moving through tall grass. Kintu and the Waterbuck occupied the border between earth and water. Obasi's Rhino embodied strength so complete it did not need display. Kiboko's Wildebeest turned belonging into thunder beneath many feet. Lulendo's Okapi carried mystery without contradiction needing to be solved. Taye's Impala made grace look physical. Ayanda's Kudu turned solemnity and dreams into a spiral reaching upward. Anvil's Zebra held opposing truths in one body. Storm Breaker's Cheetah made speed and danger impossible to ignore. Moon-Eyed's Bongo remained partly hidden, attentive, guarding what others might pass without seeing. Ten men existed at the ends of those animal mirrors, none reduced to his avatar and none guaranteed to me simply because Mahala had shown the road.

The sight overwhelmed me because prophecy was not happening at an intellectual distance. I was carrying the complete strand while I watched it. The stones had accumulated instead of replacing one another, and the thread made the symbolism almost painfully clear. M'Baku did not disappear when Kintu appeared. Kintu did not vanish when Obasi arrived. The Dairy did not erase safari. Kula-Kuta did not cancel the Dairy. The future could hold separate men without requiring me to turn any of them into interchangeable bodies or to subtract one attachment so another could exist. My body registered each vision differently because attraction itself had dialects, and Mahala seemed intent on teaching me every one of them. I could smell smoke, river mud, straw, leather, paper, warm linen, cool night air, iron, pepper, and herbs as though ten future lives had been uncorked around the mat. Beneath all of them I still smelled you.

That recognition grounded me more completely than your hand against my back. Coffee, soap, sun-warmed cotton, skin, sweat, a faint trace of gun oil, and the Mahala smoke that had begun clinging to your clothes. You were not a road the stones were promising. You were already present. When I turned my head far enough to see you, I understood that the ten men in the mirrors were not replacements arranged by some cosmic marriage broker with a very unusual sense of proportion. They were possible branches growing from a life already in motion. "You're still there," I whispered. You leaned closer and asked, "Where?" I looked at the mirrors and then back at you. "All of them." Something moved through your face, surprise followed by a softness you tried and failed to disguise. Your companion pendant warmed beneath your polo.

The crowd behind the mirrors had grown large enough that I could see faces repeating into the glass, but nobody crossed the boundary of the mat. They were witnesses, not voyeurs, and standing there inside my own decision I finally understood the difference. Their attention did not possess me. It made the choice public. I had been manufactured under observation, tested under observation, judged under observation, and rejected by people who believed looking at me gave them the right to define me. This was the first time being watched felt almost opposite to that. The market saw me choose something strange and difficult and did not tell me what the choice made me. Sweat cooled along my back. The wool scratched my knees. Mahala root remained bitter behind the honey in my mouth. Male musk, incense, hot dust, and warm milk mixed in the air, and I realized that I would remember the rite partly as philosophy and partly as smell.

The woman watched until the violence of the visions softened. "Are you showing me what will happen?" I asked. She shook her head. "Road." I understood her answer because by then Mahala had repeated the lesson enough times even for me. A road could lead toward M'Baku without forcing me to walk it. Mt. Elysia could wait beneath mist and bells while I still retained the right to turn the Jeep around. Kula-Kuta could exist beneath thirteen levels of concrete and remain a destination rather than a command. Ten men could be real, beautiful, frightening, gentle, difficult, and desirable without becoming obligations simply because the First Spiral knew their names. Destiny was landscape, not handcuffs. The stone could show me doors. My heart would still decide which handles to touch.

I bent forward as the last of the sensory echoes moved through me, and you caught my shoulders before my hands slipped on the wool. For several breaths I smelled nothing but you, then the ten future scents returned one by one as if Mahala were fixing them into memory: smoke for M'Baku, wet earth for Kintu, straw and clean labor for Obasi, sun and cattle for Kiboko, paper and woodsmoke for Lulendo, linen and warm milk for Taye, leather and night air for Ayanda, iron and smoke for Anvil, pepper and restless sweat for Storm Breaker, herbs and quiet skin for Moon-Eyed. Ten men, not yet lovers in lived time, but ten distinct people toward whom the world had suddenly revealed paths. I remember thinking that somewhere every one of them was breathing without knowing my name.

The First Spiral gradually became still. The ten stones remained connected inside the rite, the dark thread preserving their sequence, and for the first time since the woman opened the wooden case the market seemed to exhale. I looked toward her and asked what happened next. She did not answer. Instead she bowed her head, and a subtle movement beyond the outer ring of witnesses drew my attention. Three tall figures in dark crimson linen had appeared at the edge of the mat. They had not been part of the crowd during the ten-stone rite. They came only now, bare feet moving quietly over the market stone, hoods low enough to hide most of their faces. One carried a wooden bowl from which honeyed milk steamed faintly. Another held a carved staff wound from top to bottom with Spiral marks. The third carried nothing at all.

They approached in a triangle, and the crowd gave them space without being told. The scent changed with them: red cloth warmed by bodies, resin smoke, old leather, milk sweetened with honey, and the deeper musk of adult men who had crossed the market on foot. I felt your hand leave my back as you stood, not withdrawing from me but making room for whatever stage came next. The woman on the mat lowered her gaze. The three Cloaked Ones stopped around me, and for a moment nobody spoke. Then you looked at me, waited until I met your eyes, and said only, "She is ready." The First Spiral remained perfectly still against my chest, as though after all its guiding and pulsing it had finally brought us to a place where the next decision belonged entirely to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment